April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marks_21, ClapperZapper, Argo44, bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,128 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While looking for two Ithaca Model 37, 28's yesterday I came across two nib which I was told were made while Ithaca was still in Kings cross or where every that short lived venture was located. The story given was at that time all 28's were being made in the custom shop by their master gunsmith. The one I recently bought at the Factory was made in Ohio.

I am not interested in collecting them as some not to be fired rare item to live in my gun room. These are going to be gifts to my sons to use. So is there any thing "special" about these. The price was agreeable and there was no premium to their special status. Any concerns about the early ones? Any advantage or disadvantage to them? Fit and finish looks very good just like my other one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon you will get lots of response also on Ithaca Forum at Shotgun World. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know of no M-37 28 gauges produced in the King Ferry plant. They did work with Cornell U. to get a set of drawings but I don't think any were produced. Also, they didn't have a 'custom shop' that I am aware of. I believe all 28 gauges were made in Ohio.
Nice ones--I own one. What address is on the barrels??

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They don't really have a custom shop now but list one on their website. They are so accomidating they will do about anything you ask for and are willing to pay for. Real nice people to deal with.

I don't have the guns where I am at and never bothered to look at them that closely. It sounded early to me but I did not know when the 28's came into production. For that matter I don't remember when the last NY venture failed and was bought out of bankruptcy and restarted in Ohio. It might just have been a gun urban legend or perhaps parts were started in NY and finished in Ohio. I'll take a good look at them when I can get them out without certain boys seeing them.

Either way I bought both for less than I expected, less than what I was willing to pay. Now if Christmas could just get here quickly to see the looks on their faces. Nothing like getting a new gun for Christmas. My first new gun came when I was eleven and it seems like yesterday, well last week at least.

Edh Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lucky boys!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, according to an article by Wakeman, he anticipated the sales of the 28 gauge to begin in March 2009. The introduction was announced by the Upper Sandusky folks at the 2009 SHOT Show. I don't know if they met the March date, but I bought mine in January of 2011. Some of the earlier 28 gauges had to be sent back (including mine) as they suffered "timing" issues regarding ejection. At the time, there was one employee responsible for the 28 gauges and correction of the problem was relatively painless as shipping was paid both ways by Ithaca. Here's the Wakeman article.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ithaca_37_28gauge.htm
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca made some odd stuff. One day I walked into King Ferry 20ga with 24" VR choke tubed barrel, alloy receiver, steel trigger group and PG butt stock with Ithaca labeled vented recoil pad and lop of about 12.5". I did not know Ithaca at King Ferry offered kiddie guns yet I know they did because I held it in my hands. That is what I find so appealing with 37s and 87s one is never sure what close examination will reveal. It makes me fill like a kid opening big box of gourmet chocolates, wonderful isn't it? smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

When the end was near for Ithaca in NY a lot of stuff walked out the doors in lunch boxes!!! I know a guy that worked there during the end. So who knows what has been put together from that time frame. Same happened when Ithaca Classic Doubles closed up. The guys from Ithaca Gun helped the selves to stuff when they went to clean it out. A few really nice unfinished guns left that way!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.