May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (MattH, fullandfuller, L. Brown, R. Glenz, Wild Skies, SKB), 263 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,706
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking to stimulate a conversation on some of our lesser known American doublegun makers. Researcher always seems to dominate in the historical aspects of these discussions, but there are many others here that have delved deep into the subject. I am always glad to learn from all involved.

To start;
When did C.S. Shattuck first mfg. a hammerless double?
How many different models were mfg.?
Was the barrel retaining system from the same patent holder as used on the Forehand and H&A doubles?

John

Last edited by John E; 10/12/16 05:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, I will play along....
William R. Schaefer & Sons 61 Elm Street Boston Mass. Manufacturers of breech of good quality loading shotguns including hammer gun utilizing Patents of Schaefer & Julius Elston.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Where in the world do you guys dig up information like this? Is there a book or something to help me along?

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mossyoakpenn

Where in the world do you guys dig up information like this? Is there a book or something to help me along?

I, myself, come here for his info. I should invest in the DGJ, but my finances are that I can either buy the gun and hold it, or buy the page and read about it. The gun in hand is more satisfying.

A lot of the info is researched from magazine articles, old catalogs and city records. Probably a bunch of footwork also.

A huge Thank you to those here that are passionate of this work.

John

Last edited by John E; 10/09/16 02:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You get a double education in one of several ways. You buy guns and take a beating until you learn what to buy and why. You buy books and magazines and spend many very enjoyable hours reading about guns you wish you owned but most likely never will, while you narrow your interest down to what you like to have and go from there. Or you come to a board like this and learn as you go.

This board use to be much better for information exchange than it is now. Too much politics, too many acidic personalities, too many personal attacks distract from it's real purpose of information exchange about doubles. Too many trolls and people with personal agendas ruin most of the threads. There are some great sources of information and if you see a post by Researcher you should read it even if it does not directly concern a point of interest. His post are stocked with vast amounts of well reasoned and correct research which give you vast amounts of information and also can give you a general background knowledge base which is useful

The Rifle portion is still very good as the vitriol seems to not be as likely to invade every thread. Even the For Sale sections can degenerate into a mess on some post. But don't give up there is still more value here than first meets the eye. If you bring a good question someone most likely has the answer if you can just get through the background noise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY, The best way to solve the issues you describe is to ignore the negative posters and stick to positive data and discussion. If you don't like the topic, pass it by, I do all the time.

I have set ignore on a number of individuals and unless the subject is a true doublegun Subject, I do not bother to read them. I read them when they are subject on as most of the negative posters do bring some good and interesting doublegun stuff to the table too.

I simply try to abstain from tom fool discussions and always try my best to avoid attacks against persons and stick to arguing points of fact and reasoning when I fail to abstain.

I find this website a great place still and enjoy reading it regularly.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mossyoakpenn

Many here have spent years reading about and playing with doubleguns.

Some have reference libraries that would amaze.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Boxlock
Boxlock

I apologize for sidetracking your post John E. Thank you all for the encouragement.

Now back to the original post, someone ask a question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy books, go to shows. As I get older, I find more information in my reference library than anywhere else.

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Getting back to a discussion:
I have found there are three(3) variants of the C.S. Shattuck, Hammerless double. All references I have found thus far only mentions two. So gentlemen which type do you have in you cabinet and what range are the ser#'s?

My three are #823X, #768X, and #321X.
823X and 768X utilize a cross pin through the frame as a pivot/retainer for the barrel catch. #321X uses a quarter sized plate held to the bottom of the frame with two screws.
The third type (ser# not available) has a smaller plate with only one screw. There are other subtle differences between these models also.

Did R. Torkelson work for C.S. Shattuck?

If anyone has more info to add or ser# ranges per type/model please list it.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.