March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

one of my long time friends and customers recently consigned his custom made 28 gauge ithaca nid repro to me for sale...this is an interesting gun from several perspectives...it has extra heavy weight barrels, which causes the balance of the gun to be forward of the hinge pin...which makes for a very nice swinging gun on the skeet range...also, this gun was specifically designed for released pheasant tower shoots, where heavy one ounce loads are needed for humane kills...the gun weighs 8 1/2 pounds... and as such does not beat you up the way a lighter gun would, after a 100 rounds or so...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe you can find a NFL linebacker who wants a double 28. Few others would have any interest in an 8 1/2# 28 Ga. S x S.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first shotgun given to me was a Winchester model 12 in 28 ga., Skeet, with a case of 1 ounce loads when I was 11. I loved that gun and the 28 like it was magic. With that gun I killed more quail, dove or ducks than either of my older brothers did with their A5 or model 12 12 ga.

We hunted ducks over decoys, in a narrow creek, off a river mouth about half a mile from the Chesapeake Bay. With it I took canvasbacks, black ducks, mallards and countless smaller ducks. It was not often the cheesie had to chase down one of my wounded birds like he did for my brothers. They would just claim I missed cleanly. I think a combination of tighter chokes and heavier shot loads makes up very little for better pattern placement and not sky busting so much.

The only time my father told me not to shoot my 28 at game was the day I came home with two Cananda geese. He thought, and rightly so, that I was under gunned for geeses and would wound more if I used it again. But that day was one of those weird days you get on the marsh. We had fog on the water up to maybe five feet then clearing to clouds that were about 20 yards up. You could not see the creek or much above 20-30 yards up but could look level for a mile in any direction. Birds would drop down out of the cloud cover, within easy range and pop right back up into cover. I heard geese and started calling them as a lark. Two dropped into view and I made a perfect true pair double at about 15-20 yards. All head and neck shot which killed them like Thor's hammer. When I skinned their neck out there must have been thirty pellets in each. But back then, when a father told you not to do it again that was the end of my using a 28 for geese. And he was right. So since lead is frowned upon for ducks I'll pass on those 1 ounce loads because now I understand recoil and know a simple 3/4 or max 7/8 ounce load will take whatever I need with the 28.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Over on the 28-gauge Forum guys are talking about 1 1/16 ounce loads and 3-inch guns and shells --

http://28gasociety.forumer.com/topic/2354802/Wheres-the-3-inch-28-gauge#.V_pVieArKUk

Which to me seems crazy.

Anything but doing what logical if you need that type of load and going to a 12 gauge. eek
I think I'll start cooking up a 22 rimfire Magnum, Magnum, Magnum(Hell we'll just call it the 22 Magnum3 that I can use for elk hunting. Anyone in the market for a nice used 300 Winchester ?? wink
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every now and then I see a dove shooter using 1 oz. loads for doves and I wonder why not just use a 16 or a 20? I can see the utility and versatility of a 3" 28 gauge for shooting steel shot and switching loads for all other game and using the 3/4 oz. lead load. I won't bite on it, however.
Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Say guys, very good points of view and lots of insight. I see and understand why the one ounce loads. Just don't see using them in my little 28s. I gave away that case of 1 oz loads to a complete stranger shooting skeet with a auto loader (1100) in 28.

The guy and his friends seemed perplexed, but after I told them how I inherited them, they were all to happy to take them off my hands.

Just find it interesting that a major sporting goods store carries more 1oz loads in 28 than 3/4oz loads.

Shoot straight. And take a youth hunting/shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot various models of 28 gauge guns for hunting for years and have found the 3/4 ounce load to be more effective than the 1 ounce load. In 20 gauge I find the 7/8 ounce load and 1 ounce load to be similar in effectiveness but the 7/8 ounce kicks less for me so I use it. Riprap

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice to see your post Riprap. It's been a while since we've seen ya'...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

[url=[URL=http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/txhuntermn/media/IMG_0573.jpg.html][/url]]photobucket[/url]

Pretty sure one of those 1 oz loads would dismantle my 4 1/2 lb london gun!!

Last edited by huntermn; 10/19/16 01:39 PM. Reason: Left out text

I love the look Hobbs, my Vizsla, gives me following my second miss in a row.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know it doesn't look like much (world's smallest hen pheasant), but it was the first decent wing shot I've made in a while (w/3/4-ounce, 7 1/2s). Wrecked my L4 disc this Spring and it's been hell to get going again. Eat less and walk more is the motto of the bad-back folks, and I find walking far easier with a gun in my hand. It's even better when you get to pot a leftover bird or two at the local pet & shoot.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.