May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steve Nash, Tim Wolf, Guy Ave, 67galaxie, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 734 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shipped guns for umpteen times over twenty years in a aluminum gun case without any attempt to disguise it. Pretty obvious it's a gun. So far never a hiccup in delivery. Maybe potential USPS sticky hands have avoided it thinking it may be a setup? Dunno. Hardly ever buy insurance, preferring to self insure. But I'm not shipping Purdeys, etc., either.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always shipped my doubles in a plastic luggage case I bought from Thad Scott years ago, then boxed up really well. This only when it is coming back to me after repair etc. Ohterwise, I buy a cheap Doskocil case and modify it to work as necessary, but I NEVER ship in cardboard alone.

I use the PO approved gummed and reinforced tape that requires wetting as the final taping, but use the poly tape to assemble the box. It is a real p-i-a to use, but when it's finished, it is VERY secure. It may take a good hour to do if I have to make a box to fit the case. Cheap insurance.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 10/14/16 03:40 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Bob Jurewicz

Nice call.

I printed these out and had them with me when I went to my P.O., just in case. I believe you can also mail overseas and domestically for service and the gun returned the same way. Am I wrong?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just paid USPS $125 to ship and insure a $2500 gun overnight priority

Sidelock
Sidelock

That would be overnight express.

Express used to be a good deal on high value items at one time.

They used to charge less for insurance on express mail than they did for insurance on priority mail. I guess they figured that the less handling means less chance of damage.
So, even though the shipping was more, the total price would usually be less to ship express insured vs priority insured on an item that was valued at say, $3,500 or more.

But, they did away with that a year ago or so and made all the insurance rates the same regardless of type of service.

Then they did the ultimate smoke and mirrors trick and while they were touting that they lowered the price of stamps, on the other side of the coin, they took away the discount for processing a shipment on-line. That was nice of them.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I see it; The post office is trying to survive in a world that increasingly has found better and more cost efficient ways(Internet of course) to stay in contact with each other and pay bills. Their mainstay for decades 1st class mail is going the way of the Dodo. Their one remaining core service is to ship goods from the current owner or manufacturer to the user. They finally started providing fairly decent tracking service on all packages in the last few years.
Unless someone comes up with a better way of providing this service they should survive into the foreseeable future. Their two main competitors UPS and FedEx have a niche part of this business but the barriers to entry(initial start up expense) essentially precludes another start up player.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.