April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (grendel, GeorgeGibbs505), 259 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking at British box lock for sale. It is proofed at 1 1/8 oz. Nice gun, however somewhere in time, someone lengthened the chambers from 2 1/2" to 2 3/4". It's here in the States, not in England. It appears to have adequate wall thickness (.040") and tight bores (.023").
Would you:
Pass on the gun because it is out of proof,
Expect a significant discount on the asking price, how much?
Buy it anyway and shoot 2 1/2" RST shells and enjoy it.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

4. Have someone with the interest, equipment and expertise carefully measure the wall thickness at the end of the chambers and at the forcing cones before purchase.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If barrel wall thickness at end of the extended chamber is adequate, I would buy it anyway at some price. Proof would only matter if sold in the UK with little bearing at all in the US. But that's just my opinion...Geo

DLH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

From my understanding, part of the definition of "Proof" involves the guns bore dimensions. When was the gun originally proofed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the chambers were opened in the USA and the gun not returned to UK for re-proof, it would be out of proof...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely have it checked at the forcing cones - my in proof damascus barreled light weight Birmingham BLNE with original 2.5 inch chambers is only about 90-100 thousandths thick at the forcing cones. I am comfortable with that with suitable loads. Extending the chambers would significantly affect wall thickness in that area.

Last edited by Dan S. W.; 10/27/16 04:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As others have stated; Have that guns barrels measured for thickness.
Have a read of a thread here, now on page 3, about shooting 2 3/4 shells in 2 1/2 chambers. I consider the little lengthening of the chamber to be as safe as what is being recommended in that thread. If not over reamed in the chamber or overly cut in the forcing cones or had a heap big honing of pits done to it then only little metal has been removed. Measure chambers, measure forcing cones, measure bore, measure barrel wall thickness.
I personally own & shoot a 12g British hammer gun with 1 1/8 Oz proof & chambers lengthened from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. Now out of proof.
In respect for the guns original proof shot weight & the lengthened chambers I load & shoot 1 Oz low pressure loads for it & have no problems. One ounce is actually a nice shooting load & frugal on powder & shot whilst still getting the job done in this light game gun of mine.
If I want to shoot high, long, heavy, hard, & loud I have other guns with that capability & use them. One friend named one of them, "The Master Blaster" & another friend named another one "The Howitzer"
O.M

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.