May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Der Ami, cpa, 1 invisible), 784 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,719
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Ive been eyeing up a few LC Smiths for a possible purchase. I noticed on a lot of them the receiver has a certain type of corrosion. It looks different than the standard patina of an older gun. A little bit of case color left and the barrels and stock are in good condition but it has a weird patina to the receiver.

Does anyone know what Im talking about? Does anyone have an explanation? Does it affect the integrity of the metal?

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like fine scattered pitting???

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one that might up for possible sale here, later. It is a OO 12 with 60% of the case colors on the lock plates, 30% on the frame, and some of this "mild corrosion" caused by human sweat in contact over the metal I guess. DT, EXTY- 30" Armor steel barrels F&F (factory std.) splinter and POW grip uncapped- 95% original wood finish and checkering, NO cracks anywhere in either the buttstock or splinter forearm- original black Bakelite BP with original screws un-molested, 14" LOP with good straight stock dims.

I also have a grade 2 12 of that same era, and the locks and receiver are a patina and the engraving is faint but visible, and some of this mild corrosion is also visible. The Grade 2 will NOT be for sale however, but along the line of data- the grade 2 has the 2 piece top tang and the 3-position safety latch- The OO has the 2 pc. top tang, but the regular 2 position safety, which I prefer in a field hunting gun.

Both of these older pre-1913 Smiths have the std. push rod extractor designs, as opposed to the first series extractor design with the rotary joint check (has the disc and pin set into the barrel lug, and the receiver flat or water table will have the two milled out slots in line to accept this design.

I will be Up North from Friday through Mon-deer hunting in MI- but if you wish to see fotos of the OO grade in detail, please let me know and I will send them to your e-mail after I return. RWTF--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope you bring home the Bacon Foxy,,,good luck
franc
Sorry to go of topic

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like this?

Plans & Specifications of the L.C. Smith Shotgun by William S. Brophy contains an undated but likely post-1913 Materials Specification chart indicating AISI 1020 Carbon Steel for both the frame and barrel.
Under the Featherweight drawings dated Feb. 19, 1929 the lug specifies a forging of 1020 steel, but the barrel is “Steel App. 40 Carbon”, likely AISI 1040.

1020 was easily machined and case hardened, but once the case wears, 4140 chrome moly it ain't.

I would be very interested in other U.S. maker's documented action steel choices

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes, just like that Drew. Is the durability compromised if its a little more pitted? I don't see this corrosion on many, if any, Lefevers or Parkers or the like. Is the inside of the action more prone to corrosion also?

What gives?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the inside of the action more prone to corrosion also?

Not in my experience, but I'm sure some here have been into the innards of more Smiths than me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you say that your gun has the same look as the ones Brother Drew posted,in my opinion without seeing gun in hand, I would say it is the old case colors that have worm off that give it this coloration. If it was pitting you would be able to feel it.
Best way to tell is to take a jewelers loop or magnifying glass and look.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

At least one not-quite-best maker used Decarbonized Steel. Andrew Fyrberg “Chicago Long Range Wonder” in the 1902 Sears, Roebuck & Co. Catalogue No. 111.

“The frame is made of the best quality of decarbonized steel.”

I suspect Crescent did also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not in any of my 5 Smiths- well, 6 including the OO grade- I have bot field and detail stripped the actions and ejector forearm irons on both my LC Smith doubles and my Winchester M12's- and what I have typically found on the obverse side of the lock plates, whether with bridle, tumbler and leaf springs in place, or stripped down for parts, is slightly grey looking metal surface- easily cleaned with OO steel wool and Hoppe's--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.