March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper, SKB), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#462910 11/20/16 07:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for recommendations and pointers (no pun intended) for field dog supplements. A friend used to give his lab a supplement, white in color with drinking water.

I searched and found Dyne High and Canine Red Cell.
What is the consensus here?
- Which ones do folks use?
- Snake oil or a real benefit?
- Anything to avoid?

Thanks for the input

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have tried field supplements and don't think they do anything but disrupt the dogs standard diet...The one that he/she is comfortable with. If a dog is kept in good shape and well fed..thats all that's needed...My opinion...

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no magic bean product out there to replace a well conditioned dog.

I have found that when relaying 2 dogs, I get an extra day of acceptable performance by supplementing.

I always used K-9 brand Hydration supplement, and the chewable bars for glucose enhancement.

I started out old school using Karo syrup, and advanced up from there. Hydration and inflammation relief are my two biggest concerns anymore. Not food intake.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you really want to know what to feed olympic caliber dogs read what Purina researchers use on the Iditarod sled dogs. Then find a quality Vet/nutritionist who services field trial dogs. If you need help after that to sort it all out please pm me.

I run 2 labs in field trials, guide with them and do my own hunting. I feed a regiment of supplements for the main course and I have special supplements I give in the field. Read up on glycogen replacement for dogs and not some other nonsense products to learn more.

Last edited by Tamid; 11/21/16 12:48 AM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with Zoom Dog supplements in Golden, CO. My dogs were on them for years and hunted/lived forever with visible discomfort only in their last years - after retiring. I know the owner of the company and the supplements are developed with the chief of canine nutrition at Colorado Stat University's veterinary school. The company sponsors some trial dogs - retriever and pointing dogs, and they give back to the industry. If you call them for info, you may talk to Neal, the owner (and a bird dog guy himself). If you do, tell him I said hello.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Folks

Here is the brand and product my colleague uses:

Brand - Elements Nutrition. I use the Recovery to replenish glycogen in the muscles. They also have electrolytes. They now have a website.
----------

Tom,
Thank you for the input. I'm visiting CSU next week and would like get to talk with a resource in the Vet school.
I'd like to understand the science behind how working dogs deplete energy in the field beyond the obvious of dehydration, etc. The glycogen and electrolytes replacement seems pretty simple, but I'm not a vet or vet student...

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're driving, Zoom Dog's offices are just off of I-70. Not far from I-25. They're very nice folks and I'm sure would welcome a visit if you wanted to see them. Just a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a good article in Gundog mag. the last few months about supliments. . Probably a summer issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.