March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#464551 12/06/16 12:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had thought I read a post about how to make the beaded border around French fitted gun cases. Must have seen it in another section. I have been building one this Fall, and offer my very yeoman ideas on the matter.
After building an oak box and covering it in leather, I chose (and feel free to suggest a better way) to make the fitted area out of leather covered foam. I laminated wall insulation foam and sanded it down to the right height. I topped it with a layer of paneling with only layers of foam glued together, and then jig sawed the traced patterns of the buttstock/receiver the barrels with fore end mounted, and the claw mounted scope. I covered the top layer of paneling with goatskin (choice for the interior) and laid it aside. I then measured the width for strips of leather to line the inside of the cut outs. I made sure that it was just a smidgen taller than the combined height of the foam and paneling top. Using spray adhesive, I glued the stips to an even wider strip of goatskin. I made a sort of belt by folding the wider strip over the backside of the strip. This gave a rounded, bead like effect to the top edge. Now, simply glue this belt all the way around the inside of each cutout, forming it into the corners and curves, and you have finished the inside of the fitted section. Now glue down the leather covered paneling on the top and the bead stands just proud of the surface of the top. Looks nice. I also leather covered a pad made from a layer of an old memory foam pillow I never liked, and installed it in the lid. This keeps everything from moving. I decided for the gun to sit about level with the top of the bead, with the fences slightly proud so the pad could come to bear. If I find some help, I'll post pics of the interior. But that is how I made the beaded look around the firearm, and I want to learn better ways so please chime in. BTW, the only padding on the bottom was the wood and two layers of leather. I probably could have improved on that, but don't plan to put it in harms way. Hardware for latches and 90 degree hinges was Rockler. Still not happy with what I ordered elsewhere for brass corners, but didn't want to spend a fortune for the really good ones...may give in on that.
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds very nice, Steve. I hope you can post some pics soon. Really would like to see it.

Thanks for posting, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
Is this for the drilling you made clawmounts for? It seems that you are setting up a nice outfit.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ooops, sorry Mike...I did write that one cutout was for the claw mounted scope, but actually it is the Funk drilling with a Krieghoff style clip mount which I adapted a set of CZ rings to clamp onto. Haven't made one for the other drilling yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
I remember that one also.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

To make the beaded boarder i have cut the material just over twice as wide as the depth of the inset piece, if you put the folded area facing up then this gives you a bead around the edge of the area. If you want a more definite bead you can fold your material over some thin plastic beading tube.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are correct, Demonwolf. If my goatskin was thicker, that is how I would do it. I folded it over another layer of leather to thicken it enough to create the same effect.

Mike, the only change I made on the Funk drilling was to change the Eurodiamond scope for a Zeiss 1.1x4 30mm scope. It is sweet. Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.