April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Ken Nelson, SKB, earlyriser), 270 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,783
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The old story, you can take a boy out of the surf, but not his flip flops?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can completely understand. Way I see it is I have about 20 side by sides needing restoration and plenty of coal and alot of figuring it out to do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for the record, Mike is my favorite both for color and hardness.
Did not know he was doing it in a t-shirt and flip-flops.
He has done several rifle actions for me.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for all who constructively contribute to this board.

I can understand Mike not wanting to give up his setup as it appears to be his livelihood. On top of that I am sure that his product, as a professional, is far superior to whatever I may end cobbling together as a DIY'er. I do have the sense to know not to try most of what I am leaning about on any gun of value. However, as I have accumulated a decent stock of vintage field grade projects that beg for messing with, I am going to learn on. Hell most of my guns are going to get beat back up in use anyway.

That being said and this being a DIY board and everyone has to start at ground zero, anyone's input from experience is greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis, I'm looking forward to seeing your results. It is something I would like to try someday as well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some suggestions /ideas to ponder.

If you truly want the factory look, you have to do it the way the factory did it, or a close as possible.

Stop looking at DT’s colors, they are bright beautiful, awesome colors, but… not quite original.

Wood/Bone ratio. Original CCH has a very translucent look to them. The more bone, the more opaque the colors become. Reduce the amount of bone.

Quench temp: Again, they did true case hardening, meaning above 1600 deg F. The hardened steel has a different look to it. I know most want to stay below 1300 deg F where warpage is minimized. Crank it up to 1400+ with some scrap parts, see what happens.

Water temp: most period gun makers were in New England, ground water temps were a little cooler up there, shoot for quench water temp around 47 deg F.

Ignore folks that suggest adding hoofs, leather etc… they don’t have a clue. Hoofs are made of keratin, same as fingernails and hair; and are full of crap literally… Nails, rocks and manure, I have a horse ranch, I know what’s in hoofs, do you really want all that in your mix. OBTW when you heat it to 1000+ it melts, and forms a black goo. Leather, pretty much the same issue, plus the tanning compounds. OBTW it stinks to high heaven….trust me.. I’ve tried it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Mike, thanks.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Interesting comment on the Bone to wood ratio. I believe Robin Brown in the UK uses 100% bone charcoal. Much to learn. My oven is not getting used enough and I think that is going to change.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Question on warpage.

Is warpage from the high temp quench generally just enough that previously fitted wood no longer fits or is warpage like twisted beyond mechanical functioning? Or is it all a crap shoot and all in between?

If it is the former, then would my logic make sense that on projects that are going to be re-stocked that I do the high temp quench and then restock stock to fit?

Last edited by Travis S; 05/05/20 10:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, simple test to conduct, try one with 100% bone and another with 100% wood.

Priorities were 1. Hard wear resistant outer shell on steel, 2. Attractive finish. It doesn’t take much bone to “activate” the process to get hardness.

The assumption can be made that back in the day, bone char was more expensive than wood charcoal, when you’re buying it by the ton that can make a difference.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.