May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, SKB, smlekid, Sandlapper, Bill Davis, Ian Forrester), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#464722 12/07/16 12:06 PM
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Awhile back I bought a few firearms from an elderly couple and one of them is a single shot pistol. In researching I discovered the pistol is of French manufacture made by Gaubert circa 1870. Further research uncovered the fact that it's chambered for a 9mm Rimfire shot cartridge which is still loaded by Fiochi. Hmm! 9mm shot eh! A quick viewing of the barrel confirmed its lack of rifling** so it is in fact a sawed off shotgun. I am in the process of getting it registered as AOW per BATF requirements which ought to prove interesting considering the pistols age! Hopefully my "criminal" days will be over shortly! grin
Jim

**UPON FURTHER REVIEW THE BARREL IS RIFLED ALBIET LIGHTLY. THIS CAN BE SEEN WITH THE BORE SCOPE HELD AT JUST THE RIGHT ANGLE.

Last edited by James M; 12/07/16 02:38 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your point about this handguns age is interesting. When I spoke to an agent at a BATF Field Office concerning FFL transfers of pre-1899 Antiques, I was told that the ATF does not consider pre-1899 Antiques to be firearms in the legal sense, and that they should not even be entered in an FFL's bound ledger book.

Edit: I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the barrel breech to see if it is perhaps a pinfire rather than a rimfire. Not a typical pinfire hammer, but it seems odd that the tit on the hammer would strike the circumference of the cartridge rim. Here's a 9 m/m pinfire cartridge:

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember reading something like that on pre-1899 guns, Keith. They were not supposed to be in the bound book.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

rat pistol...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Common sense would decide it is an antique with an obsolete cartridge which would seem to make it a non firearm. But common sense is all too often uncommon these days. If they do decide you don't have to register it make sure you get it in writing and keep it where you can produce it if the need ever comes up.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith:
At first I too thought it was a pin fire but note it has a firing pin which would be unnecessary if it were a pin fire. Additionally; I had a 32 rim fire blank and tested the gun with it. Yep it went bang just fine.
I agree it's an antique but the BATF regulations are vague in regards to "antique" NFA weapons. My past understanding is that a pre 1899 sawed off shotgun in, for example 12 ga, would still be considered an NFA weapon regardless of its age.
BTW: My research has discovered that the original intended use for this pistol was as a garden gun. In other words one to keep handy to eliminate any outdoor pests or vermin.
Jim
An additional point: These are apparently pricy over in Europe judging by this auction:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/aucti...6f-a54d00db2e79

Last edited by James M; 12/07/16 01:28 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You should have kept your mouth shut. The BATF doesn't care about such until you make them, then you get the full bureaucratic tarbaby. Live and learn.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Your point is well taken John:
However I, as well as everybody else, has to dispose of their firearms eventually and I don't want to put a burden on my family with perhaps an illegal one. I also suspect I may just get a pass here due to its age.

Last edited by James M; 12/07/16 01:31 PM.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update:
I just did a more thorough inspection of the barrel on this pistol and there is rifling albeit very light. I think this takes me and the pistol off the hook. I have read that these were also made to fire 38 Rim fire ball ammunition as well so the rifling makes sense. I will just drop it at that.
Jim

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice antiquity. Gil

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.