April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#465231 12/12/16 05:38 PM
tunes Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hunted for 3 days last week. First time back that way in 3 years. My, my how things have changed!

We've been pheasant hunting the same several farms for the past 12 or so years,all for a handshake and some pastry from our home town. This year, 3 of the places we stopped at are now $100 per day, per gun and 2 places that were 100-200 acres of CRP now look like golf courses, all mowed down. To make matters a bit worse, deer hunting was still going on and we could not get on a few places because of unfilled deer tags. We did get lucky and found a couple of new farms that had good populations of birds in addition to places we have hunted in the past.

The bird numbers were down in our opinions at least 50%. Still good numbers of birds, especially compared to here in WI, just not what we have been used to seeing. What we saw was this:: if there was food and cover, there were birds. Too bad LOTS of cover is gone. All the ditches were mowed and most all the CRP was gone.

The weather was great, mid 20's to lower 30's, the company was great, the shooting maybe not so great. 2 of us were using 16ga guns and the other 2 guys used 20 and 12 gauges. I was using my 16ga Husquvarna 201 16ga and Cheddite paper hull, roll crimp loads with copper 5's and 6's and they worked great.

We had 4 hunters and 2 dogs, one 3 year old Wirehair and one 5 1/2 month old Fox Red Lab. My 10 year old AWS Dixie has junk hips, is only good for an hour or two of hunting every other day and had to take a pass this year. That was tough for both her and myself. A total of 34 roosters were shot in 3 days of hunting.

The highlight of the trip for me was seeing the light go on for my brothers pup. After the first day he was quartering back and forth like a pro, flash pointing, flushing and retrieving. WAY COOL!!!

We always have a great time hunting in SD, just have to remember things just don't stay the same and you have to be flexible.

Last edited by tunes; 12/12/16 05:42 PM.

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty Pup.

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great report Tunes!! What do you think, still worth the trip?

tunes Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For sure, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Something about SD that just tugs on me. For a couple of months that is. It would be pretty rough for me to be there in Jan-March.

It's all a relative thing I guess, down bird numbers in SD are still a pile of birds anywhere else. If you find good cover and have access to it, there are birds to be had.

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the most beautiful states I've ever seen, I think I was the only human in that 100 square miles,

What a feeling!!! smile

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I spend as much time there each year as I can.....heaven on earth to a hunter.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you did great to me for your kills. Nice photos. Always fun to see a new pup turning it on!

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a perfectly wonderful hunt to me!! Our annual hunt was changed from the second week of November to the opening week in October this year. We started with 12 hunters and dropped to 10 after one day due to death in a family. We then dropped to 8 at the end of day 4 due to necessity at home. So, all total, that group with jumbled numbers got a total of 75 roosters and two grouse during the 5 days of our hunt. We came away pleased because yes, the bird numbers were down, at least in Hand county. Oh, I forgot to mention, we also had 4 flushing/retrieving labs and one Muensterlander pointer and one German Short Haired pointer with us and they all performed wonderfully. Now, if we could have just hit the side of the barn with our shots we would have done at least a little better!! Of course, my story is that I had "bad shot" and I am sticking with it!!! Looking forward to next year, our 14th in a row.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.