April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hal M Hare, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, 12boreman, 2 invisible), 798 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello there lads, merry Christmas to ye one n all.
I really love this place when everyone is behaving,lol.
I am from across the pond..but live in New Hampshire & to me Antique means 100 years old...I think thats a general rule over here too?
At what time back from 2017 do you consider guns to be Vintage.
I guess Wine freaks call a Vintage when a wine is made from an exceptionally fine year for grapes.
So is "Between the wars" considered the vintage period, as such fine guns were made?
Or do Gun collectors use a cut off period like say 1960
I have one Greener hammergun from 1901, so that's a real antique..also a nice Belgian SLE from 1926...that would count as vintage I'd guess
Just curious about the vintage age thing..I guess Im talking English/European Guns.
Also, when Generations are mentioned, what time spans come to mind?
I've googled this an there doesn't seem to a definite answer..30 -50 years?
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you blokes..ilove ye all
cheers
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 12/19/16 02:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the general antiquing and collectibles world, doesnt vintage mean 25 years or older?

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BDud..from growing up in an Antique shop family from England, That seems a bit "Light"...as that would be around 1990, that to me is too modern
just my thoughts...but do you agree an "Antique" has to 100 years old?
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

i think for guns - the rules are well defined and the "antique" line does not move

but then now-a-days - I see some of my old toys in antique shops grin

so - what do i know

Sidelock
Sidelock

My understanding of American 'antique' is 100 years. 'Vintage' I guess would be less than 100 years and up to 1940 or WW-2 (to me at least). Most of the American Classic sxs's (Parker, Elsie, Ithaca, Fox, Lefever, Baker, Syracuse) had played out by the end of the war. That's just my thinking...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

In America, antiques are generally considered to be at least 50 years old. "Art Deco" items from the twenties and thirties were being considered antiques in the eighties, as well as other Depression Era articles. "Vintage", specifically for Doubles, is (my opinion) a little more involved, and has to do with design and function as well as age. I'd peg it as 100 years or so old, but in reality I'd tie the difference to pre modern powder guns. It then becomes mainly a design issue, with Vintage doubles being those designed for the Black Powder Era. WWI being a convenient breaking point.

Last edited by Ken61; 12/19/16 03:02 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The BATF: For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Strange, but I seem to have a problem with any definition of either antique or vintage which is younger than I am...Geo

I don't even like the BATF&E definition or curio or relic!

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 12/19/16 03:47 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, if we start with Franc's wine analogy, "vintage" is simply the year it was produced, including possibly 2016. It has nothing to do with "old" or "good".

In other areas, vintage refers to an broader but still identifiable time period, as in "Depression vintage" or "Fifties vintage".

While "vintage" denotes a time period, it could be any time period, rather than connoting a specific minimum number of years old.

Last edited by canvasback; 12/19/16 03:51 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

One dictionary definition is this:

vintage-denoting something of high quality, especially something from the past or characteristic of the best period of a person's work.

I think "vintage", as applied to guns, is an overused, and often misused, word, according to the above definition.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.