April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, smlekid, 1 invisible), 558 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,085
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Many people favor prime rib over filet mignon, I don't know because I've had many filets that were cooked to perfection but I don't know that many restaurants that would tackle a prime rib.

I have a friend who has been cooking these at home, in a convection oven, for years. It took him a few to get his technique down, but, internal temp of about 150, 20 minutes of rest after that, seems to be the key. I don't do it because the minimum cost of participation is around $60, and my family, 'cepting me and my dear old Mom, are not big meat eaters.
Fully intend to thow one on the Weber grille, over a nice, smokey, fire one day, but, it will have to be when we have company. I'd be eating even a little 6 pounder for a week after the event, if it was just we three.

Best,
Ted

Took me 25 years but I am now always confident that prime rib will come out of the oven done to perfection.

Takes a long time to get the technique down because we don't cook them every week.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

For the week end after Christmas, with family, I am doing for the first time a country salt cured ham, low and slow, on my new Master Built electric smoker. Cook all night with a touch of hickory smoke. Capture the juices-"brown jelly" part goes into wife's bean pot, along with hock part( whole ham too long for smoker, so have to shorten it).You can't get this from precooked ham/w water added and pre-sliced. My sister/sister-in-law/cousin are bringing other great "stuff". I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't live in the south.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tradition here is a traipse to homes of all of my relatives within walking distance ... whisky ,or black rum then on to the next one gaining a family member as we go,eventually ending up at the point of origin around noon for a local turkey ,stuffed with our Newfoundland savoury dressing ,blueberry duff,pease pudding , salt meat ,cabbage ,boiled potatoes ,carrots ,mashed turnip ...it's rough trying to get it all on one plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Roast saddle of venison (a deer I harvested with son-in-law Geoffrey),

Do you "Lard" your saddle? Lardoons (thin strips of fat) marinated in a fruit flavored brandy before being inserted in the slits really keeps the meat moist and adds a nice flavor.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a nice local Fresh Farm Turkey, also a smoked shoulder ham that a mate n I raised n had smoked locally.They do a wonderful job
I do the cooking.
My real delight are...
1..making the stuffing..big tasty portabello mushers cut thin, loads of onion,celery n red pepper,
some of the same pig sausage pork, a few roasted chestnuts, dried apricots & have at it with the herbs n bread crumbs.Lots of garlic
2...the gravy.. getting all the juice from the bird pan scraps n all, put outside in the cold to separate, skimming the fat n a shot of Gravey Master, corn starch to thicken.
3....Then my locally famous roast spuds & parsnips.
Par boil peeled spud cut in nice sized chunks till fluffy on outside but still well solid,...dry on towel until dry (other wise they will not brown. that is important),Then heat big pan in oven with 3/8th" olive oil, garlic n a few spatterts of Worcester Sauce mixed in (helps the brown n crispy_) roast around 375 for about90 mins ,get them all oily. basting every 20 mins or so/Peel Snips, but if small cut in half n add to oil with spuds.no need to par boil as they cook fast
Then a big pot of Brussle Sprouts..
that gets me goin'
cheers
franc
Home made whole cranberry sauce, of course
eat well mates

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Franc, it's the one thing I miss about switching to the Prime Rib....no stuffing. And yours sounds pretty tasty.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm on my own now. Christmas Eve day I will continue the tradition of fasting breakfast and lunch. My evening meal will be fish and toasted homemade bread. Christmas Day meal will be a thick Porter House steak so rare the steer will beller when I sink my teeth in it. Side dish will be chicken pasta salad and croissant rolls. Dessert will be German Lebekuchen and when I'm done I'll raise my glass of "middles", (that my neighbor stilled for me), to all who passed before me this past year.........to my Mother, to PA24 Doug Woodin, and also two of my local friends. May their memories live forever. You all take care now and have a very Blessed Christmas.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Joel, think I'll join you in that toast to Doug. All the best this Christmas.

James

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Hey Joel, think I'll join you in that toast to Doug. All the best this Christmas.

James

And I. Doug's loss leaves a big hole.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So did anyone burn anything, or screw up badly yesterday?
Hope all went well, mine was pretty awesome...I'm having the same again shortly..nice pyrex dish full of a bit of everything in the oven as I type...love those left overs
The roast spuds do well with a light second roast, still nice n crispy yummm
cheers
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 12/26/16 02:02 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.