April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a beautiful Linder Daly Diamond Quality 12 gauge in an online auction. Absolutely beautiful gun. The metal is in very nice condition. The engraving is outstanding. The wood has been refinished and the finish has some flaking. But still a very nice, very attractive shooter.

I took it out yesterday, along with ten year old Molly and two year old Jazzy. I had paws on the ground about 11AM. We moved twelve to fifteen individual coveys. I lost count. We had bagged the fifteen bird limit at about 4:45pm. Just me and the dogs. Joe Wood has too much character to skip obligations in order to go hunting. So I was by myself. I notice that rascals like me get to hunt a lot more than the guys with character. Did not lose a single bird. Molly and Jazzy deserve the credit. Both made near miraculous finds and retrieves of running downed birds.

I think this is the best engraved gun that I ever owned. I took the picture this is edited from yesterday while on the hunt.

Took this shot about 3:30PM.

This is the same picture as above but with Molly whoa'd into posing with the birds.

Jazzy with a hen she pointed and retrieved:

I would appreciate any information Lindnerophiles here can give me on the gun. I assume it was made before WWI.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Took this picture in the field yesterday:

I took this one in the basement tonight:

Molly retrieving a bob. That is my orange cap behind her, dropped as a mark for the downed bird.

I wish I had gotten more pictures of the dogs in action, pointing and so on. But the birds were very challenging. Sometimes they ran and the dogs were constantly relocating. Sometimes the dog would go on point and the birds would flush forty yards away from me. Hard to be the dog handler, gunner, and photographer when in pursuit of such ill mannered bobs.

Buddy hurt his knee and was sentenced to the crate for a month by the veterinarian. He had served about three weeks. The morning of the hunt this is what I found when I went to check on him. He did that on the maximum dose of doggy tranquilizers.

You can see the screw on the bottom tang is out of time:

The gun weighs six pounds, eight ounces. The 28" steel barrels are choked cylinder and 13/1000ths. The chambers have been lengthened to 2-3/4". I think the barrel blacking is original but the blacked barrel flats cause me doubt. The stock dimensions are 14 x 1-3/4 x 3 x 3/8 castoff. POW grip. My doublegun mentor Joe Wood (also my shooting student) tells me the nipple on the end of the POW grip would originally have been horn. It is now brass. The checkering is very fine and very good but pointed, not flat, so it has been recut. Good job of it. The wood has others mars and dents of course. The gun has side clips, ejectors, intercepting seers and cocking indicators.

Absolutely a wonderful gun. Mr. Lindner was a wizard.

I would sure appreciate an estimated date of manufacture, a decoding of the proof marks, anything at all. Thanks.

I'm leaving again in the morning for the birdlease. I can only half sleep the night before a quail hunt.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike that is a lovely looking gun. And nice to see you are putting it to good use. I picked one up a couple months ago from a dealer in Eastern Canada, 12 gauge Diamond Quality 30" full and full.

When I took delivery I was interested to find out it's no quail gun. 7 pounds 8 ounces and choked .048/.048, although before I weighed it I would have guessed it was under 7 pounds. Beautifully balanced feel. It's for reaching out there when the quarry is out of range for all the rest of my guns. There are a few things I need to get done before next fall....had a broken ejector rod, barrels need bluing, wood needs refinish, but all in all I'm very happy with it.

As you note, the quality of workmanship is amazing. BTW, mine still has the little horn nipple on the grip. But I am missing the tip of the forend. Can you post a closeup of your forend tip?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey it wasn't Bubby's fault, there was an explosion and he was nearly killed!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I failed to mention that the left ejector on mine fires when it shouldn't and the gun is slightly off face. Going to send it off to gunsmith after season.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Really nice looking double Mike and as usual, some fine pictures.

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
Hey it wasn't Bubby's fault, there was an explosion and he was nearly killed!

Okay, that really made me laugh!!!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Rudy. HA Lindner, Steve Jobs and Al Gore deserve all the credit.

James what are the stock dimensions of your Daly?

Those chokes are the same as my Fox HE. Yours would be a wonderful gun for pass shooting Mourning Dove.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

AM-

In the second pic my attention was drawn not to the engraving, but the clean, sharp slots on the pins/screws. Delightful looking smokepole.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is an absolutely lovely shotgun. Nice dogs too, you are a lucky man

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.