May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 270 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with the others who have counseled you to carefully clean and preserve this gun since it has a good deal of original finish.

Here's a link to a thread which covered some techniques for bringing out the Damascus pattern in barrels that have a light even patina.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=412135&page=1

I still like to gently clean with very fine 0000 steel wool and WD-40. The method mentioned by Stallones using maroon Scotchbrite pads and Palmolive Orange Dish detergent works well too, but you have to be very careful with any Scotchbrite around gun metal. The abrasives in Scotchbrite are hard enough to scratch glass or chrome plating, so they will easily do damage to blued and case colored surfaces.

The wrinkled dirty finish on your stock looks like it might be old shellac. If so, it can be first cleaned with Murphy's oil soap or a solution of household ammonia, then rinsed and dried well. Then, the tricky part is to gently wipe the wrinkled shellac with a small lint free pad saturated in isopropyl or denatured alcohol. Shellac dissolves in alcohol, so you are trying to do a controlled job of dissolving the old finish and re-amalgamate it with the parts that aren't wrinkled. Essentially, you are dissolving and spreading out the original shellac finish. But if you haven't done this before, it is very easy to get carried away and remove the original shellac finish entirely. Not good. I'm hesitant to recommend it for that reason, and suggest that anyone who might wish to try it first practice on junk stocks. A lot of nice old guns have had their value destroyed by good intentions and overly aggressive cleaning.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, the maroon pad is still too abrasive for a minor clean-up, but it's great for final burnishing before the first etch.

One process I'm a little hesitant to mention is the White Vinegar etch, since the barrels still have much of their original color.

Well, here it is anyways. After cleaning the barrels, degrease the barrels with acetone. Quickly coat'em with a WV soaked rag. Wait 20 seconds, then dunk them is a baking soda solution to stop the acid. (or wipe quickly with a sopping BS soaked rag). Rinse well with water. Towel, then blow dry. If happy with the pattern, heavily coat with oil, including bores. Burnish them lightly with 0000 steel wool while oiling. After they sit a couple of days, degrease and lacquer. If unhappy, etch can be repeated.

Caveat. No promises, it can potentially remove a lot of color.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/05/17 02:28 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope you'll use the gun, but there appears to be significant oil soaking at the head of the stock, and the gun would benefit from a full disassembly, check and cleaning the action, careful measurements of the barrel wall thickness, and some attempt to de-oil the wood followed by either glasbedding or cyanoacrylate impregnation. If an acetone bath is used, the stock will require refinishing.

Some barrel clean up ideas are at the beginning here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EGInyr3CsRadXkmTYRak4TWK-pCB3cN5Wgg51u_SnEM/edit

A very wise observation
"A lot of nice old guns have had their value destroyed by good intentions and overly aggressive cleaning."

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I plan on using the gun for grouse or pheasants, although a grouse flush may be a little tricky with hammers.

I definitely don't want to remove any original finish, just spruce it up a bit. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions from everyone so far and plan on going on the lighter side of cleaning. Ill keep you all updated when I get the courage to do this.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.