May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 754 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#469313 01/16/17 04:18 PM
vikram Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been trying to get an idea about the prices of the guns made by Max Ern.Brilliantly made and very classical in form.

http://max-ern.com/english/home.htm

I wrote an email to him but there has been no response. I would appreciate any info. Thank you in advance.

Best regards-
Vikram

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to
pause
and reflect.

- Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have to ask….

Sidelock
Sidelock

I expect to visit with Max and family at the SCI show in a couple of weeks. I'll try to remember to ask if that data is available.

Sam Welch
SamW #469935 01/20/17 05:40 PM
vikram Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SamW
I expect to visit with Max and family at the SCI show in a couple of weeks. I'll try to remember to ask if that data is available.

I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to
pause
and reflect.

- Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vikram,

Max Ern probably is the best gunmaker in germany and one of the very best in Europe, if not worldwide. You find some examples on my blog:

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/index.php/2016/04/29/fine-double-rifles-of-max-ern/

Will make another article about his latest Double Rifle, a wonderful round action in .470. Price of this one is about 100 000 EURO. You can get a bolt action Mauser rifle for 15 000 at least. A wonderful single barrel Kipplauf, the best I`ve ever seen is available for about 40 000 EUR and I tell you, it's worth each cent.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf;

Thank you for your interesting comments about Max Ern. Is Max considered the equal or maybe the better of Hartmann & Weiss?

Additionally, what is the opinion among the German and Austrian gunmakers/gunsmiths about the Max Ern sidelock mechanism where Max had eliminated the "swivel" link between the mainspring and the hammer (or tumbler); specifically do the gunsmiths believe the hammer speed is slower without the swivel link connecting the mainspring to the hammer?

Kind Regards;
Bushveld

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushveld,

Max Ern (and his son Max Ern jun.,also a master gunsmith and I think a great one) are the same level with Hartmann & Weiss. But time is working for the Erns, because H&W both are high in their 70ies and Max jun. not even has reached his zenith.

The Ern sidelock is a nice and modern construction, even faster than others, I think.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

The latest Ern Double Rifle in Caliber 450/400 NE 3":

Last edited by Gunwolf; 01/26/17 04:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunwolf;

Thank you for your reply and the photographs of the beautiful and magnificent Max Ern double rifle. I have considered Hartmann & Wiess to build the finest guns and rifles in the world, and it is good to learn that there is another gunmaker that will take their place. The double rifle that you show in your photo radiates quality, beauty, perfect balance and handling even without having to try it in ones hands. Every thing that I can see about this double rifle is perfect: the fit of the wood; the beauty of the wood and emphasis on strong straight grain in the hand portion of the buttstocki; the perfect case coloring, the forming and finishing of the bolster, the engraving that does not overstate itself and is perfectly cut, the rising bite third fasterner; the perfectly formed and properly spaces triggers; the barrel blacking is ever bit the equal of the famed Johnson's work in the UK; and finally perfect checkering points.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushveld,

thanks, you find the right words of a real connaisseur!

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Max will leave tomorrow together with his son and wife, who is an engraver and five guns/rifles for the SCI Show.Who ever will attend, should visit the Ern stand just beside Boss.
By the way, there was an article about the Erns and the roller sidelock in the Shooting Sportsman July August 1916. Pdf on request per PM.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.