May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (DSchrank, Ken Nelson, FlyChamps, CJ Dawe, 1 invisible), 794 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,720
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good day gents, the wife's in the mood and I need to treat myself. I'm looking at a new Rizzini BR550 28ga. 28" with choke tubes. 5lbs. 13oz. nice wood.

How does Rizzini quality stack up to an AYA #3 or #4 in the same gauge?

It would be a hunter with the odd trip to the SC course.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dal; 01/16/17 04:37 PM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be interested in the response here, too. New AYA 453 boxlocks have really risen in price. You might find only used AYA #3 or #4 guns in the US. The one BR 550 I see around here is very well put together. I don't know if it has choke tubes though. The AYAs will not come from the factory with choke tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know the Rizzini sxs from having my hands on it. But from a standpoint of price, I think your comparison should probably be to an AyA #2 sidelock as a somewhat more expensive gun and to a 4/53 boxlock as a slightly less expensive gun. Cabela's had a proprietary version of the 4/53, coin finished receiver with more engraving and somewhat nicer wood (IMO) than the standard 4/53, that might be the closest comparable AyA model. Sight unseen in the case of the Rizzini (other than photos), I think I'd take a very high condition Parker Reproduction 28ga over any of those other guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I may be able to help. I have a Rizzini BR 550 in 20 ga with 30" tubes and a AyA 20 ga #2. The AyA has double triggers which are perfect, the Rizzini has a single trigger with a lot of creep. Inletting on the Rizzini is actually better but the wood on the AyA looks a shade better with a satin finish rather than the gloss. Rizzini offers choke tubes while my AyA at least is fixed chokes. Weight wise the Rizzini is a few ounces heavier but not drastic.Although I think the engraving on the Rizzini is embossed or at least by machine it is as nice as the AyA.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dal
Not sure how much help, I have several AYAs and one Rizzini (F.A.I.R.) o/u. In 28 gauge I enjoy both firearms. The little Rizzini was my go to gun for hairs, ptarmigan, grouse, doves and crows. I pretty much use it exclusively for crows and pigeon. I have a number 1 in 28 gauge and I use it for dove, grouse and quail. I love that little gun and I think I have ran several thousand rounds through it I have hunted the AYA hard in some of the nasty brush. But my advise is go with what feels best to you. I would steer you towards the AYA in a side lock or look at the little AYA round action in 28. good luck in your quest. Keep us posted.
RJM

dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the advice gents. Used scaled twentyeights are scarce in my parts, and when a good one does come up for sale, it usually gets mentioned on local upland boards, and is gone quickly.

Good used AYA's, in particular, are even more scarce. I came upon this one and couldn't resist. New BR550 Small frame, 5 choke tubes, nice wood, and came at a discount. It has a 3 day no shoot return policy....so what the hey, I pulled the trigger.

I'll swing it around for a couple of days and see how she feels. Plenty of nice twentyeights south of the boarder to choose from mind you, but with the price of our dollar and work required to bring it over, this one looked like a great option. Wood is a little lighter than I prefer, but maybe it will be darker once in the hand.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice piece Dal! I have handled both these new Rizzini's, and all of the AYAs. I own and shoot well a 28 AYA #2.

Before I saw that you had bought this beauty, I was going to suggest that Mark Reynolds' Bournebrook is the most equivalent to the BR550, but likely for 2 grand more. They are however beautifully finished and the near equivalent to a #2..
http://mwreynolds.com/HTML/shotAYA4Round23511.html

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Enjoy the Rizzini!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own an 28 bore AYA #2 (purchased used) and a 28 Rizzini, which I bought new and is semi bespoke. I like them both and, to me, they seem of about equal quality and a lot of gun for the money. My local gunsmith is of a different opinion. He tells me the internals on the Rizzini have closer tolerances and better quality machined steel than the AYA.

I shoot the Rizzini a little better but I think that is because it weighs 5 lb. 12 oz, verses 5 lb. 7 oz. for the AYA. Most AYA No. 2's are closer to or above 6 pounds and the light weight of my AYA is one reason I bought it even through it feels a bit whippy and I don't shoot it that well. My shortcomings, I know, but a delight to carry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
Thanks for the advice gents. Used scaled twentyeights are scarce in my parts, and when a good one does come up for sale, it usually gets mentioned on local upland boards, and is gone quickly.

Good used AYA's, in particular, are even more scarce. I came upon this one and couldn't resist. New BR550 Small frame, 5 choke tubes, nice wood, and came at a discount. It has a 3 day no shoot return policy....so what the hey, I pulled the trigger.

I'll swing it around for a couple of days and see how she feels. Plenty of nice twentyeights south of the boarder to choose from mind you, but with the price of our dollar and work required to bring it over, this one looked like a great option. Wood is a little lighter than I prefer, but maybe it will be darker once in the hand.

Beautiful clean lines, striking gun. Excellent decision.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of the Cabelas AYA 4/53s in 28 Gauge. It has the coin finish with full engraving coverage and 29 inch barrels. Weight is 5 pounds 15 ounces. I find it to be an absolute delight to carry and shoot.

I have handled but not shot the Rizzini and found it to be a bit less lively than the AYA, with a bit thicker grip. The AYA feels better in my hands and is finished to a high enough level to warrant positive comments by several double gun aficionados at me club.

I doubt you would go wrong buying either. Enjoy your Rizzini.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.