March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents:
This is probably a rhetorical question, but doesn't hurt to ask.
I have an early original Parker DHE 20 Full/Full. I want to open chokes to IMP Cly./ Mod. for quail.

Please weigh in on opinions as to potential negative impact to value of gun. Thank you

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd try handloading and spreader loads before I did anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finding a 20 F and F would be much rarer than finding one IC and M. A lot of guns have had chokes opened or worse barrels cut. If it were mine I'd use spreaders like Polywad for 15/box or reload spreaders with polywad inserts. A few boxes a year would not be that hard to do. Or see if you can come across a second set of barrels to have fit to the gun. Those you could alter anyway you want and not hurt the guns value.

As to the dollar price effect it's hard to know 10-20% maybe more but you might loose a lot of potential buyers. Collectors and even some shooters put such a premium on original condition and original configuration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot probably has a lot to do with its current condition. My guess is that it's in respectable condition. Might want to look for opinions on the Parker forum. Be warned that they'll want lots of pictures.
Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

Question: might a separate set of barrel be a proper solution?

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Question: might a separate set of barrel be a proper solution?

I wonder about the availability and cost of a set of Parker 20 gauge barrels? Maybe there are some Repro's around. Galazan made a few but I think stopped producing them

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure how high demand is for full/full guns. I have had a nice original Greener with 30 inch (damascus) barrels consigned for 3-4 months at $900. I thought the chokes had something to do with it not moving quickly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fourteener54
Gents:
This is probably a rhetorical question, but doesn't hurt to ask.
I have an early original Parker DHE 20 Full/Full. I want to open chokes to IMP Cly./ Mod. for quail.

Please weigh in on opinions as to potential negative impact to value of gun. Thank you

I know people that would pay a premium for a Parker 20 with IC/M chokes over one choked F/F, I also know people that wouldn't even consider buying a Parker with altered chokes.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Spred'r inserts work very well in full chokes. I could send you pics of my zoli pattern sheets. Pretty much turns full into ic, and still have the full choke for escaping mallards.

On another note, I'd rather buy a f/f choked gun and open it up myself if I wanted to. Never know if a reamer went a few thousand off center and ruined the POI pattern, and requires the gun be sold?

Last edited by dal; 01/20/17 08:23 PM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy another gun to go quail hunting...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.