April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,094 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi I am new to this site and my first post.
I am thinking about buying an early Westley Richards double.
This is in the #5700 range.
Upon evaluating the barrels I have some basic questions.
First they are 27 5/8 inches long odd number.
The wedges are missing.
Steel barrels numbered to the gun, the bores are .715 but when I get to the chokes area the last 1/8 of an inch comes in at .710.
Essentially this gives this gun .005 choke for an eight on an inch.
My gut feeling is these were chopped but I'm hoping there is a slight chance these were manufactured this way ?
I can gut this gun very reasonable but don't want it if it was cut.
I do have experience with doubles most of mine are Parker with a few Smiths. But I really have no background with English guns.
And yes this is a propper gun not a knock off.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Tom Hessler

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like it started life as a 30" gun. You may try to contact the maker to confirm. Some British firms such as H&H are very helpful in this regard.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

What do the barrels look like at the muzzles? Do the barrels touch each other? This isn't a precise determination but on many double guns the barrels touched or came darn close.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/04/17 07:16 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes they touch but I'm not really relying on that as an indicator.
Thanks for the replys Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: thessler
Yes they touch but I'm not really relying on that as an indicator.
Thanks for the replys Tom

No,as I mentioned it's not an exact way, but what I was thinking was if the barrels started off as 30", I wouldn't think they would be touching if over 2 inches was removed. Now if they were 28" then yes, who knows.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I guess I'm hoping someone who really knows these guns would spot this and say either yes they made some 27 5/8 barrels or no that size was never made.
In all likelihood this was a 28 or 30 inch gun, but I thought I would ask before pass on it.
Thanks, Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd bet it was cut from a 30" gun. Give WR a call/text/email. Nice folks there.

What is your objection to a cut gun? Sounds like this gun is a shooter, not a collector. There are a lot of issues more important than cut barrels.

DDA

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks rocketman I'll give them a call.
My objection is in my opinion it will never have any real value cut.
I have plenty of shooters really don't need another, l really like the gun and it's history but I don't want to spend time and effort on a gun that will always be short.
Thanks, Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, IMO, its value is set at this point. If you did want this particular gun, then you need to get a good valuation and be sure said valuation properly discounts the cut barrels. Then, you can resell and recover (most of) your money.

Do note that there are plenty of Brit guns out there in a very active market. Do not fear missing out on a bargain; those are few and far between. You are far more likely to get stuck with a dog than to pick off a bargain - especially if you get in a hurry.

What would be the purpose of a Brit gun for you?

DDA

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Purpose - i never had one, I like it's history one of the very early anson & deeleys action, this has an original untouched stock that has never been repaired. I don't run across to many 1880 Era guns with steel barrels. I just don't run across that much in my budget range. Not to often I run across a WR for $450.
It is a worn gun though and off face but that's repairable, no matter what I do I can't extend barrels.
As suggested I think I'll pass and wait for the right deal.
Thanks for the help, Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.