April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, campero, CJF, FelixD, Stanton Hillis, ClapperZapper), 975 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,183
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#471818 02/08/17 06:56 PM
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, the BBT arrived with my Gunbroker purchase Interesting 1903 that we discussed earlier. I have it apart and am doing some light cleaning to make it slightly more presentable. I will say this, it looks very promising. My question is can anyone tell me who used this type of receiver radius?

Thanks
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought Wundhammer did bevels like this, but others may have copied him. What does the inletting look like?

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok, here's what I have at this point:

1. 1915 rifle right for the time frame.
2. Overall styling.
3. Double palm swells.
4. No cheekpiece for another comparison point.
5. Checkering pattern similar to his style.
6. Lyman peep was a long slide, which is on it's way. Useless since it has been chromed, as was the bolt and follower.
7. Some of the tightest inletting I've seen and it is all small gouge marks.
8. I haven't measured it yet, but there appears to be cast built into the stock.
9. This is a California gun.
10. The radius above.

I am carefully cleaning it so that I will be able to show any and all features in more photos. I have a milled follower with appropriate wear and a C6 steel lot, correct for that range, bolt on the way. It had an I8 bolt, also correct.

I know how Michael talked about how if you had handled a Wundhammer, you would always be able to tell one. I am a southpaw and while ambidextrous, any longarm I throw up to my right shoulder feels a bit awkward, especially those with any cast off to them. So that is no help.

The bore is bright and shiny and even if we don't pin it down it will be a nice rifle after a few nicks are taken care of.

No id on the scope mount, it uses 3 screws and 2 pins, but the interesting part is it isn't flush against the receiver. I can see daylight looking down from the top along the length. Perhaps done by a different smith at a different time?

That is what I have now. I'm off to Hobby Lobby to buy some more raw linseed oil for cleaning.

Thaine

BTW, sounds like a good excuse for a roadtrip to Tulsa so I can let some more experienced folks look it over! LOL

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trying to figure out what they did here. Does it look to you like they either ground or machined the top 180 degrees or so of the barrel deep enough to remove most of the rear sight pin hole? Looks to me like maybe they used a tool post grinder or put it between centers on a surface grinder and ground the top only. Does the back of the barrel measure bigger in diameter across than it does top to bottom? As if material was removed from the top only.

Thanks,
John

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John,

Diameter is the same top top bottom as side to side at the barrel receiver junction. The radius is in the receiver, removing the metal from the sides and top leaving the bottom the same as original. Barrel is turned to 1.095 od which is .050 smaller that the barrel on the serial #228 rifle and another #909664. Neither of those barrels appear to have been reduced at the receiver barrel junction.

Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

1.095 is about .045 larger than the major diameter of the thread, or about .023 per side. Not much shoulder left.

Very cool old rifle, looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

John

Last edited by gasgunner; 02/10/17 06:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't you have the chromed stuff unplated? Small gouge marks...could be then.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be great to see some pictures of the inletting and some pictures of the scope base.

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just finished a whole series of pictures showing every detail yesterday. Spent the afternoon taking them. The first batch I took last Sunday turned out to need too much editing to make presentable, so I set up in a room with a plain background on a table and considerable lighting. I'm off on a roadtrip to the eye Doctors today, hope to edit them tonight and get them by the weekend if not sooner. Used three different cameras to get the best I could. I need to get a decent photo editor, so I can resize them. They are all large in size. The photos I linked with the radius are thumbnails. I use to use the one that came with Office, but when I upgraded to Office 2016, they don't include one so I am having to look for something now. Rifle has had a decent cleaning with raw linseed oil on the stock several times and bronze wool and Kroil and Hoppes on the metal. Bolt and follower replaced with proper ones and an unchromed Lyman 48 150 is on the way.
Thaine

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.