May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toby Barclay, Lloyd3, SKB, 1 invisible), 518 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,429
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gander just closed one of the two stores here in the Denver area. They advertised the close-out for months with big discounts. I stopped in a couple of times and never found anything marked down. Didn't buy a thing and walked out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two within 90 minutes of me. As several others have stated they are dark, dingy, very few used guns and a lack of knowledgeable staff. The Toledo, OH store had a Fox Sterlingworth 12 Ga. ejector gun that was just a shooter, I mean a shooter and they had it priced over $2K and held firm. Sad to see them go under but the strong survive in any business/industry! To much competition by good local shops and Cabela's and BPS to be marginal.

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had to write a letter and tell them what one of their side by sides was worth to get them down on the price. It worked. Our small t3 store has more customers in it than them. I shop usually from cabelas

Sidelock
Sidelock

A shame as they were the first place I purchased from when I started hunting, everything from the catalog.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I won't miss them if they go under. I wouldn't miss Bass Pro much, either. Cabela's I'd probably miss a little, and it concerns me that BPS owns them, now.I do most of my mail order shopping with Mack's Prairie Wings and my in store with Academy. Both of them are super to do business with, and both have good prices.

The one I miss is the old Herter's. Man, I loved that huge catalog when I was a kid. I have a pair of Herter's neoprene chest waders (from the later, downsized company) that I handed down to my grandson, Jackson, that have to be 25 years old. But, missing the old Herter's is probably more nostalgia than substance.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When Herters downsized they had a store/decoy factory in Beaver Dam Wisconsin...just a few miles from the Horicon marsh....I shopped their quite a bit....still have a dozen of their burlap wrapped mallard dekes NIB....They had some great outside tent sales in the late spring each year and again in the late summer.....they had duck calling contests, food, more like a big hunters pic-nic....have a couple Ganders within 6/7 miles...and a Cabela's around 12 miles.....but they sort of leave me cold....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our Gander has some good people working in the firearms dept. They really do try hard. There hands are tied though. Corporate forces them to stock and display things that don't sell in our area, and limits things that do. I guess they want all stores to be the same.
They do take a beating sometimes. Local bottom feeders tend to unload there bad guns there. They wait until the less experienced guys are working then outright lie about what they are selling. Gander ends up with a high priced bad gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't surprise me, their prices are typically ridiculous. I do hate to see any outdoor store have troubles though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mary and I visited the store in Chesterfield, Missouri a while back. We were nearly alone in the store. We looked over the guns and related items for an half an hour before anyone showed up in that area. Then they didn't make any effort to ask if I was interested in seeing anything. We walked out without buying anything.

I've been in Gander Mountain near Minneapolis and didn't have a problem. In fact I bought a Stoeger coach gun I wasn't even looking for because the wood was extra nice and the price was right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

35yrs ago when they only had a catalog and warehouse with a service counter in Wilmont,WI they had the best prices on reloading components. We would drive up from south of Chicago to load up. Then they sold the catalog business to Cabelas and opened stores with the highest component prices. 15 years ago when their was not one or two in every town I bought most of my clothes at the store in Wausau,WI and they had a good used gun department with a few racks of shooter doubles and an occasional nice gun. Then about the time they layed off most of the full time help they opened stores all over the the place and switched the shirts to plaid polos. Now minimal used guns, nothing I won't to buy and the employees out number the customers.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.