March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, 2 invisible), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

if you have a gunsmith do it expect to pay trough the nose as it is very time consuming.....$300-450.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

A great inlay can be made from a pre 1964 silver quarter.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I didn't have a clue it would cost that much....

I may have to try it myself or just learn to live with it

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have or can find a copy of Jim Carmichael's "Do it Yourself Gunsmithing", it has a good how to for this project starting on page 213.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have lost count of the number of ovals I have fitted for all sorts of reasons though one of the commonest was after a gun became to old off the face the only valuable part left was the silver oval and so they where removed. To fit a replacement is not that difficult and the tools required are few in number. A short bladed sharp craft knife. Desirable is a small gouge with a very open curve, but you can manage without this. Though importantly you do need a small cranked chisel lets say blade about half the length of the oval, you can make one of these that will last long enough to do the job by heating and bending a small screw driver and just keeping it sharp. Over on this side of the pond I use a Victorian silver shilling available here for a couple of pounds. I am sure that you did have some silver coinage that you could use. First thing to do is shape the oval from the coin to match the stock curve in the position you want to place it, I find that heating the coin to red heat and letting it cool slowly softens it enough to make bending easier. Now if there is a secret if it is a secret to fitting an oval from scratch this is it, you file a 10 degreeish slope all round the edge of the oval. this will in fact make the base of the oval slightly smaller, then mark around the oval base and remove the wood slowly to about three quarters the depth of the oval. next place the oval on the position you have cut out but it will not drop in so far so good. Now comes the reason for the slope tap the oval with a piece of thin wood covering it with a small hammer the wood to reduce marking it, as the oval is taped into the stock the sloping edges swages the wood out slightly making a perfect fit. It sounds complicated but it is quite quick and easy to do, I then fix the oval into the stock with an epoxy resin adhesive when set file the silver down to the surface of the wood.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Classicioi,
I have 3 guns with them. The Merkel measures 2 1/2 in. and the two Browning sidelocks measure at 3 1/2. The buttstocks are 14 3/8 in. lenghth of pull from the front trigger.
Hope this helps.
Karl

The oval should be positioned so it looks to be in the right place between the checkering and the toe . Doing it by eye is often better than a set measurement .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the good information provided.

Marty, I bought the book and should be here in a few days.

Regards, Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl,

I got mine when I was 18 and had joined the Outdoor Life Book Club. I pored over that book until I about had it memorized. Good luck with your project.

Marty

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing damascus.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.