May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, montenegrin), 301 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
cpa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a dumb question that I suspect can be easily answered by more informed people. Assuming that plastic sleeved cushioned wads result in little or no pellet distortion from a cylinder bore, what are the actual physics that cause pellets to disburse in a generally even pattern? I can easily understand that air resistance could cause individual velocity difference and result in shot stringing and pellet collision resulting in outliers but what force causes pellets to be deflected radially from the core shot mass?

Last edited by cpa; 03/18/17 09:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Energy and laws of physics....

Nothing is static.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Here's one for you.... Why does the universe continue to expand?

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 03/18/17 10:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

'Cause God made room for it to.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The drag vector on the individual pellets.

Once the drag force on the shot mass leading edge slows the leading pellets the trailing pellets push them out of the way to all sides and this starts the dispersion.

Once it starts, it's accelerated by the drag vector on each pellet.

The more out of plane it gets, the more side force.

The universe is not expanding. Redshift is not entirely recessional velocity. There is no 'dark' matter. L-CDM cosmology has been refuted over and over. 'Big Bang' is indistinguishable from creationism, and in fact was first postulated by a theologian. L-CDM cosmology depends entirely on the 'given' that the universe is both homogenous and isotropic. Observations show that it is neither, on any scale. The universe is alive. Galaxies have a life cycle just like animals do, and the material is recycled over and over. An active Seyfert galaxy almost certainly creates matter, so entropy need not cause an eventual end to the universe. This a stranger place than we can know at present, and the whole picture may be beyond human understanding. I'm certain there are aspects to reality that we cannot perceive. Enough?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plenty enough for me. Good explanation of shot dispersion, too.

Right now I'm much more concerned with how to pick up an extra two birds a round on sporting on my yearly average, and how to get native Texas sunflower to grow perennially in this here sandy soil.

Have a blessed day all, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
The drag vector on the individual pellets.

Once the drag force on the shot mass leading edge slows the leading pellets the trailing pellets push them out of the way to all sides and this starts the dispersion.

The more out of plane it gets, the more side force.

The universe is not expanding. Redshift is not entirely recessional velocity. There is no 'dark' matter. L-CDM cosmology has been refuted over and over. 'Big Bang' is indistinguishable from creationism, and in fact was first postulated by a theologian. L-CDM cosmology depends entirely on the 'given' that the universe is both homogenous and isotropic. Observations show that it is neither, on any scale. The universe is alive. Galaxies have a life cycle just like animals do, and the material is recycled over and over. An active Seyfert galaxy almost certainly creates matter, so entropy need not cause an eventual end to the universe. This a stranger place than we can know at present, and the whole picture may be beyond human understanding. I'm certain there are aspects to reality that we cannot perceive. Enough?
Mostly with you, but disagree that "...an active Seyfert galaxy almost certainly creates matter." Perhaps better would have been "recycle," as you say subsequently. I still hold to the axiom that "matter can neither be created nor destroyed" and agree that the universe is amazingly complex. I would use the term "dynamic" however, as opposed to "living." Picking at nits, and all said you gave a learned and insightful glimpse into our macro "habitat."

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
cpa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"The drag vector on the individual pellets.

The more out of plane it gets, the more side force."

So is it correct to assume that if we were able to mark individual pellets, we would find that those on top were on the outer edges of the pattern and those on the bottom were in the core of the pattern?

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, If the leading shot in the column are the first to disperse and decelerate, then those at the base of the column will not only be at the center of the pattern but also first to target? Given a standard 12ga target load of number 8 shot, at what range does the cone of shot invert? Or does it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just an aside to this thread: I think it's the most interesting exchange I seen here for a long time. Thanks.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

In general theory, yes.

Stop action photos of a cylinder choke show a 'mushroom' effect, so the leading pellets certainly get a head start.

The lower part of the stack though would get more deformation from acceleration and might well head for the edge faster than the rounder pellets, so it's hard to say.

Were we to test this, pellet hardness would be a major variable.

WS16: We 'destroy' (actually convert) matter on a daily basis, and stars certainly do so. 1+1+1+1 does not quite =4. Energy and mass are quite interchangeable according to that old white haired dude, so I have no problem envisioning a process where matter condenses from energy. I think Arp's observations of what are obviously opposite direction quasar ejecta from Seyferts is quite telling, and what we are looking at there is 'young' matter. Mainstream science needs to 'look' at the actual data and not try to fit everything into a refuted theory by inventing ad hoc physics. Unfortunately, there's no money in it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.