March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#475521 03/19/17 02:28 AM
Frank46 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked this up some years back and need your help. I have a replacement front sight blade but bubba filed a section of the barrel in a crude dovetail to mount a rear sight like that of an 1894 winchester carbine. Havent hears of anyone doing this but thought about making up a piece of steel from an old 98 mauser barrel and fit it to the dovetail and have the whole thing tig welded. The barrel does have a nice bore but bubba chopped the buttstock and stuck on a rubber recoil pad. Which has turned to stone. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

The dovetail made for the 94 SRC sight can be filled with a piece of cold rolled steel, it doesn't have to be cut and shaped from another rifle bbl necessarily. TIG welding it in place is one way of securing and hiding it. Simply close fitting the piece and swaging (sp?) it into place will do the same thing if done correctly but it takes some skill.

Either way the area around the repair will end up 'in the white' from final fitting and polishing to blend it in right. Then a touch up blue is needed to complete the work. Depending on the degree of orig finish, it may not be a pristine blue that is needed, but something other than a freshly filed and polished surface certainly.
If the repair is right where the original Winchester 95 sight for the SRC goes, the large base of that sight will cover a lot of the repair area.

Repro stocks are available for the 95, but I'm unsure if the carbine style butt is made. You'll have to check around for one of those.
Usually the cresent style rifle butt plate stocks & flat 'shotgun style' butt plate stocks are the types you see made up. That's what I see from Homestead Firearms and Gunville.
Gunville Gunstocks will generally make changes to a pattern like the butt plate style if they have the right specs avail. Email or call them.
Homestead lists the 95SRC rear sight assembly in their Win 95 parts,,but O/O/Stock right now. They are pretty good about getting stuff back in stock though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Limited experience, but have heard TIG welding on a barrel is likely to cause shrinkage of the bore at that area.
Appreciate other opinions on this.
Would suggest the filed filler block.
Chuck

Frank46 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your information and suggestions. Bluing is gone from the receiver, magazine still has a little left and barrel also. Very crude dovetail hand filed The bore is in what I would say very good condition. Still have the buttstock and forend but the upper handguard is long gone. I have a Marbles Sheard front sight blade to be installed and a old pacific rear sight that a friend surface ground the back mounting surface for mounting on a flat receiver. I could try to install one of the steel dovetail filler blocks which would almost but not likely fill in the dovetail. And the winchester rear barrel mounted rear sight is long gone. Just trying to get the old girl respectable and up for some shooting. cast bullets come to mind. Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Frank46
....I could try to install one of the steel dovetail filler blocks which would almost but not likely fill in the dovetail....

You could consider machining the dovetail clean, then making or tracking down a slightly oversize filler block that's not welded in. I think it would look like it belonged there without trying to hide it, since the rifle is going to be set up for a receiver sight. Here's hoping the project shapes up nicely for you.

Frank46 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions. The 1895 isn't going to win any beauty contests that's for sure. I stuck one of the filler blocks in the dovetail and there is a lotta light underneath the block. I think the story about the bore expanding from excessive heat came about when guys starting to sporterize mil surps and fried the solder under the rear sight base causing the changes in bore dimensions. Tig welding is very localized so I don't think there should be any problems. Thanks again. Frank

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.