April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, GETTEMANS, battle, graybeardtmm3, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 1,000 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
No, Larry, YOU need to consider the audience, by rereading my initial post. Nowhere in it did I specify S x S guns. I intentionally directed the thread toward doubleguns, which most certainly include O/Us, no?

After all, this is the DOUBLEGUN Journal website, isn't it?

SRH

Actually Stan . . .no, it isn't the Doublegun Journal website . . . unlike the Shooting Sportsman Magazine or Pointing Dog Journal websites, which are run by the magazines in question.

Your initial post covers a lot of ground . . . starting with a significant amount of condensed history. There are indeed more OU's being produced now than sxs . . . although since you started your history in the 16th century, I'd point out that the popularity of the OU is really quite recent. And Browning rather than Beretta certainly deserves credit for producing the first truly popular (in terms of numbers sold) OU with their Superposed. Beretta only jumped aboard the train that was riding on rails laid down by Browning.

Regardless of the OU's popularity, it is the sxs that rules with those who visit here. If you want to go by number of guns sold, then surely we can go by number of threads dealing with sxs vs OU's. So while Berettas are popular with some people, here you will find more fans of classic American, British, or Continental sxs. By far. Assuming your aim is for the topic of your discussion to have the most appeal here.

And Ford sells more vehicles than Mercedes, which makes Ford the winner if you count numbers. Quality? Maybe not so much.

All kinds of ways to determine who's on top. The Packers didn't even make it to the Super Bowl, but you visit your average bar in Wisconsin and you'll quickly learn which is the favorite team.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go Stan.

A 'modern' Brit O/U in the works.

https://www.theexplora.com/will-westley-richards-introduce-a-new-ovundo/

Any guess on the price?

Speaking of price... Browning, of course, never 'produced' any O/U guns. He gave up factory work when he sold his first design to Winchester.

Ironically, today the FN Herstal operation owns the Browning name. Can you still order a B-25? Last I heard, they had gotten rather pricey.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
The heavier weight than a light English gun takes up the recoil better.

The English gun trade turned out quite a few heavy weight 12 bore guns, up to eight pounds for waterfowl & live pigeon shooting.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
....Your initial post covers a lot of ground . . . starting with a significant amount of condensed history. There are indeed more OU's being produced now than sxs . . . although since you started your history in the 16th century, I'd point out that the popularity of the OU is really quite recent....

It could be that given Beretta's longevity, the side by side game gun is also a quite recent product for them. Go Pack? Maybe, they're making the right off season moves.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, Larry, YOU need to consider the audience, by rereading my initial post. Nowhere in it did I specify S x S guns. I intentionally directed the thread toward doubleguns, which most certainly include O/Us, no?

After all, this is the DOUBLEGUN Journal website, isn't it?

SRH

Actually Stan . . .no, it isn't the Doublegun Journal website . . . unlike the Shooting Sportsman Magazine or Pointing Dog Journal websites, which are run by the magazines in question.

Your initial post covers a lot of ground . . . starting with a significant amount of condensed history. There are indeed more OU's being produced now than sxs . . . although since you started your history in the 16th century, I'd point out that the popularity of the OU is really quite recent. And Browning rather than Beretta certainly deserves credit for producing the first truly popular (in terms of numbers sold) OU with their Superposed. Beretta only jumped aboard the train that was riding on rails laid down by Browning.

Regardless of the OU's popularity, it is the sxs that rules with those who visit here. If you want to go by number of guns sold, then surely we can go by number of threads dealing with sxs vs OU's. So while Berettas are popular with some people, here you will find more fans of classic American, British, or Continental sxs. By far. Assuming your aim is for the topic of your discussion to have the most appeal here.

And Ford sells more vehicles than Mercedes, which makes Ford the winner if you count numbers. Quality? Maybe not so much.

All kinds of ways to determine who's on top. The Packers didn't even make it to the Super Bowl, but you visit your average bar in Wisconsin and you'll quickly learn which is the favorite team.

You're trying to skirt the point, Larry. Doublegun is the key word, whether Doublegunshop, Doublegun Journal, or whatever. They're all doubleguns if they have two barrels, hardhead.

And you shouldn't make assumptions that I post something in order to get the "most appeal here". Not at all.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
....Your initial post covers a lot of ground . . . starting with a significant amount of condensed history. There are indeed more OU's being produced now than sxs . . . although since you started your history in the 16th century, I'd point out that the popularity of the OU is really quite recent....

It could be that given Beretta's longevity, the side by side game gun is also a quite recent product for them. Go Pack? Maybe, they're making the right off season moves.

I rather think Beretta has been making side by sides all along.

A quick look at their history shows game guns being made in the late 1800's. And they did their early monoblock side by sides at least as early as 1903

Last edited by old colonel; 03/27/17 07:56 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know guys, you are discussing apples and oranges. If you want and can afford a $200.000 gun, yes it is going to be one of the best but if you are talking about $1,000 gun, it is totally different. the maker can put more time and refinement is the $200,000 gun than the $1,000 gun. Berretta's history is very impressive but with the new cnc machines making guns now, there will soon be very little difference in how a gun is made, the older English, Germen and other were great guns. I own many and enjoy all. I enjoy taking my Purdeys out or Browning's or Parkers. They are different guns but are all fun to shoot.

P.S. Is hell froze over because I have to agree with h0meless about the broom handle. It does load fast and it was a great gun to shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most if not all cartridge handguns will tend to load faster than a percussion revolver. But, in 1856 there was no such animal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're trying to skirt the point, Larry. Doublegun is the key word, whether Doublegunshop, Doublegun Journal, or whatever. They're all doubleguns if they have two barrels, hardhead.

And you shouldn't make assumptions that I post something in order to get the "most appeal here". Not at all.

SRH

So, equally hardhead . . . you now agree this really isn't the Doublegun Journal website, in spite of the similar (but not identical) name? We're making progress.

Actually, I'm fairly certain your initial post was more in the nature of trying to ruffle feathers, since I'm sure you understand that the main interest of most folks who hang around here is sxs rather than OU. And my simple response was that however much Beretta has succeeded in the OU market, they never have and never will dominate the sxs market. Not that they don't make decent sxs . . . but it's a very small slice of their business. But a large slice of the level of interest on this BB.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From one hardhead to another ...... I did misspeak when I called it the Doublegun Journal website. My bad.

What you will not accept is that I was not referencing S X S guns to the extent that you are, but doubleguns in general. One more time with a correction, this is a doublegun website, is it not? Even though the larger focus of most here are S X S guns, there is not a separate sub-forum for O/Us, is there?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.