May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 236 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#476842 04/01/17 07:02 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I just got a Browning BSS and I don't really want to send it back to the seller because I like it. But, there is some play in the action from side to side but none up and down. I know this isn't good. Do the BSS's have anything built in to tighten up the action? What is worn causing the side to side play? Ive only really encountered up and down play. Who and how much will this cost to fix? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the lever is to the right or center even, It is likely wear to the hinge pin. It is definitely repairable but you may need to send it to a gunsmith as not all 'smiths would do the repair. I have had a couple older guns tightened by spray welding the hook and refitting the barrels to the face. It sounds hard, but isn't. I think I paid $90 (plus shipping) the last time I did this on a sxs. Probably most of the 'smiths taht are named by people on this board will do this type of work, all around the country. I've had this done by Cole Haugh in Indiana.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks GLS! That pretty much sums up everything I was after.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought the BSS was one of those guns that were pretty much impossible to shoot off face...how many rounds through it do you figure?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
I thought the BSS was one of those guns that were pretty much impossible to shoot off face...how many rounds through it do you figure?

ANY gun that hinges is susceptible to go off the face. The only guns I know of that are impervious to the malady is Hoenigs rotary round and a Darne. There might be other designs out there, I'm not familiar enough with Charlin or a Collath to include them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen a Charlin or two that had sloppy actions. The "Hinge Pin", although it is not a hinge pin, is located at the base of the opening lever, and is an interference fit that also has a set screw on it.
One example had a fair amount of slop, or, play, in the opening lever in the closed position, but, would not open when fired. Well engineered, but, not immune to wear on the pin.
The fix would likely be much easier than on a conventional double, bore the opening lever for a new pin tight enough to maintain an interference fit again.

No pin in a Darne, or, a Hoenig. No ejectors or single triggers in a Hoenig, as the builder doesn't believe in either.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the not a pump nor auto category, there is one other shotgun that never becomes "off face". The beautiful, exquisite Mossberg bolt action. wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

As the barrel on the "Mossberg" threads into the receiver the barrel of course isn't going to move. Bolt actions can, & do, develop excess headspace which is essentially the same thing as being Off Face. The barrel of course isn't going to shake, can normally only be told by use of headspace gages.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.