April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Drew Hause, Dan R, canvasback, ithaca1, ChiefC, Lloyd3), 632 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,816
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a beautiful and perfect pheasant gun. I hope to see some pictures of it in action this fall. Haven't found anything to help ya yet though

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is probably one of the prettiest old hammer guns I've seen. I have nothing to offer as far as identification goes.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re the "choke" marking on the barrels: In England, that mark first appeared under the revised rule of 1875. That predates the establishment of government proofhouses in quite a few countries. What we're seeing may be "proprietary" proofmarks by a maker before official govt proofmarks were required. Still open to question, however, where that particular maker was located.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM should have an opinion on any Italian similarities:

This one dates to 1930, a Model 1010 Pigeon.

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196575&page=1

The Italians did use the term choke & note the reinforcement / adornment on the tubes near the frame. Although another gunmaking center could have easily have adopted such.

Not the exact Sauer trademark as seen @ then of the Krupp Steel type, but Sauer did file for protection in Belgium in 1896 & had tubes rolled there. So the Italians / makers of the subject piece could have easily sourced Sauer sanctioned tubes from Liege.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry Clown, I just love it when you say that you are IGNORING me, but then you respond to one of my posts like Pavlov's dogs respond to a buzzer.

Of course, I was mistaken about the inception of choke boring and should have known better since it was a point of contention between W.R. Pape, who patented choke boring in 1866, and Dan Lefever, who claimed to have invented it long before either Pape or Fred Kimball. But certainly, you will concede that Krupp Fluid Steel barrels arrived on the scene much later. Scratch that! I know you concede nothing, and can never admit to being wrong about anything. But thanks for showing us all once again that the IGNORE function apparently doesn't work... At least it doesn't when you can't resist peeking.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith as a poster who proudly proclaims you will not use the ignore function, why does it matter to you if someone else does or does not?

Bless your ever positive contributions to our website.

----
Welcome to Longwalker, and a note that what you are seeing play out is free speech on our board. Some who post in answer to questions do not always get it right. And as Keith points out some don't know but post as experts, so their advice is worth what you pay.

Keith of course will ensure you hear about the past sins of some posters even though the Second Amendment is not a yet introduced topic in the thread. He is our self appointed guardian. The good news is he is also very knowledgeable on our focus, doubleguns.

Stay on the board long enough you will get to know the personalities of many. Further you will get the chance learn more about doubleguns.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Rampant Lion is the symbol of the Brescia proof house, though this gun seems to predate National proof rules of Italy in 1923. I find the shaping of the hammers and action very similar to Italian guns of mine. The fences are more elegantly shaped that any other that I have seen, as is the breech reinforcement.
I think the SA mark on the action flats is likely the makers mark.
A lovely find indeed, and an intriguing mystery.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So would you say it is date bound by 1896 - 1923? Have you an similar image of the Rampant Lion on an Italian offering?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for that contribution Gladys Kravitz, I mean old colonel. To answer your predictably stupid question, I was simply pointing out once again to Larry that he can't bring himself to IGNORE my posts, even though he says he does. Who would've thought you'd stick your whiny hypocritical nose into it? You forgot to mention to Longwalker that you are the nosy, whiny, hypocritical self-appointed thread moderator here. And it's already pretty well established that you don't give a rat's ass about the 2nd Amendment or the trolls who continually work to undermine it. I'm proud to be a guardian of our 2nd Amendment. Someone has to pick up your slack. It's obviously much more important for you to stalk me. You may have noticed that 2nd Amendment threads are pretty much verboten here, so all I can do is remind certain folks like Ed Good about their past anti-gun statements. I know that bothers you immensely, and that fact makes my whole day.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have Brescia proofed Bernardelli and Armi San Marco hammer guns with a crown over Rampant Lion proof house mark.
Both Wirnsberger and "The Italian Gun" show the Rampant Lion as the Brescia proof house symbol.
The OP's gun shows a much more finely rendered Rampant Lion than the later National Proof Rules mark.
I do not have any difinative proof that this is a Brescia gun.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.