April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Pwog, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the verdict concerning the new SKB shotguns are made in Turkey? I have read good and bad. I am looking to get a side by for sporting clays and I keep looking at the 385 side by that were made in Japan. I know about the reputation for the ones that were made in Japan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not at all interested in anything made in Turkey. People tell me there are good Turkish guns, I have yet to see one.

A friend recently 'won' a Tristar O/U at some fund raising banquet.

The gun is simply not usable due to trigger issues. It has everything: slack, gritty creep, over 10 pounds of pull, and much over travel. There's no hope for it.

I recommend that you evaluate the actual gun in person, and not buy one sight unseen. Bring a trigger pull gauge.

Last edited by Shotgunjones; 04/28/17 10:55 PM. Reason: diplomacy

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd agree that trying the trigger on any Turkish gun before buying is a good plan. That being said--and I've only handled a couple of Turkish-made SKB's, haven't shot them--is that I'm pretty sure they've got a fair edge over the Tri-Stars.

Colin, what you may like about the new SKB's vs the 385 is that they're putting longer barrels on them. I bought a 485 set up for targets with a high rib (but with short--I think only 26"--barrels), and it did not work out for me. I figured that rib would let me float the target. After repeated misses at low 7 skeet, I eventually determined that the opposite was true: I had to blot the target out to hit it. So ended my relationship with that gun.

I'd encourage you to check out the new SKB's and see what you think. Hopefully someone will come along here who owns one and can give you their take.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Turkish SxS and O/U shotguns have been around for good while now. It started with DeHaan continued with CZ USA, S&W (they no longer market them), Mossberg,....and some others. I looked over S&W rounded body 20ga game gun with straight grip stock, checkered butt plate,... when they were offered at about $1200 close out price. Very nicely put together shotgun. Let us remember they make real gun handguns on state of the art machinery. I have shot about 1000 rounds out of their duty military gun. Good accuracy w/o any failures. I would rate it equal to CZ75 from which it was copied. I would say Turkish guns are worth a serious look. If developing geopolitical climate doesn't get in the way they're going to own the sub $3000 new SxS market. Especially now that Ugartechea is no more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Curious that the SKB trademark has sufficient brand value to be used on a (to be polite) 'sourced' product.

Three questions to ask prior to purchase might be:

Who does warranty work?

Where can I get parts?

The Turk imports under other well known brand names have tended to be short runs. A target gun will eventually need service. What's the plan for that?

An affordable target quality SxS is still a difficult spot for the market to fill.

If you find one to evaluate kindly report.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Say I seen and looked over a lot of Turkish shotguns during Northeren Watch. Look them over very closely, turkey ordance grade steel is not the best. We bought a lot of them out of one of the back ally's anywhere from $75 to $225. Their triple bit guns seems to be better of the bunch, the side lock actions have soft firing pins that will deform
The guns perform but pay close attention to triggers, and steel and you should be fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello, Fellow Colin.

They are essentially the same gun as Cabelas Dickinson guns. I'd be wary of the single triggers, since this was a problem area on S&W imports, but I've been nothing but pleased with my (recently purchased) Dickinson, and there are members here who have a favorable impression of theirs after much more use than mine has seen.

Oh if only the internet existed when Spanish guns started being imported to the states.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few profile photos of the OU show what seems like a Brescia action. There were no visible signs of the classic SKB kersten bolt or the lateral trapezoid shoulders mating with the receiver.

Perhaps those that handled them in the flesh can say what type of action the new production shotguns have.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have held the Cabelas Dickinson guns in my hand and fell in love with a 28 gauge with twin triggers and straight stock and 30" barrels. I think it was a great gun for the money with good fit and finish and weight under 6 lbs. Alas, I couldn't come up with a real need that wasn't mashed by the other guns currently residing in the gun safe. Triggers on that gun felt fine to me. Maybe 5 lbs or so and crisp. Great gun for small money IMO.

foxes rule

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.