May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 770 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WBLDon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Recently picked up a Sterlingworth in decent condition (see attached pics)16 Ga. with 2 3/8" (equates to 2 1/2" ) chambers. My question is there the front of lug mates up to one of the barrels. There is, in my opinion, an odd area that almost looks like it was caused by a pin punch (see 2nd & 3rd photos). It is almost impossible to determine the depth. Wanted to see if anyone has seen this before. Any thoughts, should it be a concern? The bores are bright and shiny, gun was built between 1931-1932. Barrel muzzle thickness is .050 in both barrels. Thickness at 5" from chamber end of the barrel is .091" and .058" in both barrels 9" from the chamber end of the barrel. Bores are pretty much .658" from the end of the short forcing cones to the beginning of the chokes. Left is Mod./Right full. I cannot see any deformation inside the barrel opposite the area I am concerned with. So what do you think??? Overall the gun appears original and not messed with as far as I can tell, some blueing wear on muzzle ends of the barrel and fading of the Color Case, also some minor flaking of the finish on flats behind the action (photo 1 shows worst spot) but overall fairly nice....
Thanks in Advance...
WBLDon

Last edited by WBLDon; 05/02/17 08:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like it may have been an area of deep pitting that someone tried to grind out with a Dremel stone. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Finding corrosion in that area is not unusual when stripping for recoloring barrels, and sometimes when you remove it you find deep pitting.

I'd try to get an accurate wall thickness measurement in that area. If very thin, you may be able to have the area built back up by having someone TIG weld it.

Since there is color in the area, the tubes may have been recolored after whatever was done to it.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/02/17 07:15 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That .643" bore measurement is goofy. What are you using to measure? Fox 16 gauge bores will run a nominal .660".

Sidelock
Sidelock

The metal finish on that gun looks original. That may have been there since the gun was made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also that 2 3/8" sounds a bit questionable on the chamber length. 2 9/16" w2as the older standard for US made 16's not 2". It has be3en mentioned numerous time here about American guns being intentionally chambered 1/8" short but I believe this was primarily Parker & mostly in 12 ga only.
Are you certain you measured to the exact end of the chamber. If you are measuring with a standard chamber plug gauge you may want to check the end diameter of the gauge in comparison with that of the chamber. The chamber has a taper in it of approximately .005" per inch. "IF" the forward end is even .001" smaller than the gauge (not uncommon at all in older guns) the gauge will reads it as being .200" short.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is hard to say exactly what was going on, but it sure looks like it left the factory that way.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dogfox
That .643" bore measurement is goofy. What are you using to measure? Fox 16 gauge bores will run a nominal .660".

.643 might explain the heavy barrel wall thickness.

rapidfire

Last edited by rapidfire; 05/02/17 08:21 AM.
WBLDon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken61. I have seen my fair share of guns someone used a dremel on and this does not appear this was the case, at least from what I can see.

Dogfox, I am using a Skeets bore gauge for the measurement. After your comment I rechecked the measurement and found out I wrote down the choke dimension in place of nominal bore diameter (which is .658 and I corrected in original post), thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Hammergun, I would agree the finish on the gun appears to be original

2-piper, from what I could find it was my understanding that the Sterlingworth came with 2 1/2" chambers and 1/8" shorter was not uncommon. Although I am using a flat Blade chamber gauge and eyeballing it. Going to have to try marking the gauge and measuring it. I agree if there is a taper to the chamber it will effect the measurement and may need to try another way of measuring.

B. Dudley, based on the finish looking original that was my thought..

Thanks all for the input...

WBLDon

Last edited by WBLDon; 05/02/17 08:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking sterlingworth.Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "standard" A.H. Fox Gun Co. chambering for the 16-gauge was 2 7/16" intended for the 2 9/16 inch 16-gauge shell. Fox chambers often are on the tight side and you won't get an accurate measurement with an industry standard gauge. The machinists ruler method is often better.

Chamber depth is considered to be the distance between the breech end of the barrels and the joint between the chamber body itself and the forcing cone, which reduces down to bore diameter. This is loosely based on the length of the "Fired" shell. Today, theoretically when the crimp opens on the shell being fired the end would land at the junction of the chamber and cone. Prior to WW-II many companies had the practice of holding the chamber about 1/8 inch shorter than the shell for which it was intended. Fly in the ointment is nominal measurements often differ from actual ones in both chambers and shells. A very good method I have found of measuring chambers without much outlay of cash, and is quite accurate enough for virtually any situation, is a common 6" flexible machinist's scale which you likely have. Hold the barrels with muzzles toward a light source, not necessarily a concentrated one a window is great, while looking into the breech and the cone will be thrown in a shadow. May have to move the barrels around a little until it is distinct. While still looking into the chamber simply slide the scale in until you observe the end coming flush with the shadow line & mark position of breech end with your thumb. Remove and read the scale. I usually repeat this a few times to insure I am getting a consistent reading, but you will be amazed how accurate this can be done. While I own a Galazan chamber gauge, I use this more often than not. The chamber body itself has a taper of about .005" per inch. Sometimes chambers were cut with slightly worn reamers giving a slight undersize chamber. If the chamber is a bit undersize a gauge made to "industry" standards will not go in to the true depth of the chamber. A.H. Fox Gun Co. shotguns are known for having tight chambers. The machinists scale method can be more accurate.

Could you tell me the barrel length and whether they are STERLINGWORTH FLUID COMPRESSED STEEL or SPECIAL ALLOY -- FORGED STEEL?

Last edited by Researcher; 05/02/17 10:59 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.