April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Chad Linder, Jimmy W, Researcher), 195 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,054
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
It is certainly fascinating to see the turmoil a grade school level calculation can cause.

I suspect the root cause is that this is the "pie are round" contingent.

I hope none of you work for NASA

Actually what I should have said was that I'm glad none of you worked for me.

This is quite amusing. I wish we could conduct a poll to determine how many here think that Dr. Wanker has contributed more useful information than Miller. But I don't think even an overwhelming response in favor of Miller would do anything to deflate Dr. Wanker's egotistical self-image.

Better watch it Miller. Dr. Wanker gets pretty jaded about being wrong. He is very likely to pretend to IGNORE you if you get his estrogen level any higher than it already is. Speaking of rocket scientists, this is a brain-child who actually recently insisted that repeated soakings in organic solvents will do nothing to degrade the cellular structure of walnut gunstocks.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is certainly fascinating to see the turmoil a grade school level calculation can cause.

Why bother with the gun at all. If you never order the container of clay targets, you don't have to shoot at them. One of the very few things I wish for in this life is to get up each morning and working for Doc Wonko. I guess we can't have it all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Justin;
I did make a slight Boo-Boo on that first calculation which I went back & corrected. That approximately 4.7 oz would be correct if you were removing the .010" per side. We were actually speaking of removing .010" on the diameter so it needs to be divided by 2 thus 2.35oz for a .010" bore enlargement from a nominal .730" bore. The approximation itself is not within the "Formula" but I simply had to guess where the point would be in relation to the forcing cone to determine the length of bore over which metal would be removed. The longer the cone of course the less will be the length of the bore you are going to enlarge.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I kinda questioned that...Glad you cleared it up...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, thanks,I did catch that extension of the formula.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, WTS, I did work for NASA for awhile. It was a good experience, but not one I wished for a career.

AS for working for you ---- gee, I dunno. How about the other way round?

BTW, I care much less for the level of involved math than for the ability of people to use any math to solve a problem.

What say we raise the ante? What would be the moment of inertia of the removed metal? How would the removal impact the gun's weight, balance, and swing efforts? This is the set of calculations that I said above made changes to guns reasonably predictable. WTS? Anybody?

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 06/01/17 09:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Both sides may land a few hits, but there are no winners to an internet fight, gentlemen.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never worked NASA....close as I can come to that is working on vacuum chambers for testing satellites in outer space.

As for working for you.....the feeling is mutual. Hell, why would anyone need to work for you? You know everything....allegedly.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 06/02/17 09:33 AM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

What I do know absolutely is that if I lived in so humorless a world as do most here I would certainly open a vein

have another day

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don,
I don't know about calculating the MOI of 2 oz over the length of 22 1/2" of barrels. But my experience suggests that the money to remove .010 out of the bores has a higher MOI.

I went thru these calculations and weighed the cost/benefit on a 32" Win 101 years ago. It had screw-ins, so the limit was about .010" out of the bore before the chokes became an issue. With such a small change in weight, I couldn't rationalize the cost. I just bought a 32" Beretta Gold E with very light barrels. Those new barrels came with a new action too. It was a much better move.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.