Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe you gotta wear your pants like that Tamid.
O.M

Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Maybe you gotta wear your pants like that Tamid.
O.M

???

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
I would think most shooters would use their more open barrel at the 16-yard events and the tighter barrel at handicap events.

Nothing bothers me more then over-under skeet shooters, with skeet chokes in both barrels, that wear out one lock mechanism by loading one shell at a time for singles at stations one through seven!! Lost bird, delay of the squad!! mad

That one made me grin; you might could suggest they at least consider loading the other bbl. first, if they have a selector, on alternating boxes. Skeet, for me anymore is about shooting w/friends. Some of mine are intense and insanely good at it as well. Me(?), nacho much, not that I don't try to hit 'em all, I do. It simply doesn't work all the time and its not related to which bbl., even when choked the same, is utilized. Following that same thot pattern one might worry about the same thing happening on a two-triggered double on the rt. hand lock, regardless of its chokes. Perhaps it does, if used for skeet often enough. Never really thot about it before. Now I have one more thing to use as a distraction rather than looking at the target & just shooting it as I did before I knew better. blush grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joke Tamid.
If you watched the vintage live bird & trap video you will see the 3/4 pants on them.
I don't think the pants help the shooting but they always make me smile.
O.M

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
I only ask the question because I took out my Remington F fully restored to shoot some trap the other day and had forgotten the choke measurements and wondered which barrel I should be using. It got me wondering if there was a 'proper' way to use it. It didn't seem to make a difference at 16 yds using 3 drams FF black powder and 1 1/8oz #8.

Based on grip alone, with the straight stock of the F Grade is there an advantage to using the rear or the front trigger first when shooting doubles?

You are shooting a Remington double trap with black powder?

Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Moses,
I have't watched that video yet. Oh yes the jodhpurs. I haven't worn pair of those since I was a teenager trying to emulate the european telemark skiers.

eeb,
Yes I use Pyrodex Select FFg in all my vintage guns. But you seem surprised. Isn't that what was originally used?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bulk Smokeless powder was in widespread use after about 1895 in the U.S.; Dense Smokeless shortly thereafter.
Pressures of turn-of-the-century loads are here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F2sQuPm05IE4VWYYnCkvuXmYEzQoWd_SQgaAfUOZEFU/preview

The Remington Model of 1894 Hammerless Grade “F.E.” Trap Gun was introduced in 1906 with decarbonized steel barrels; similar to Marlin “Special Rolled Steel” and Winchester “Rolled Steel”. Certainly no Live Bird or Inanimate Target competitor was using black powder in 1906.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Trap doubles or singles?

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One more interesting factoid about those early trap shooters: Some of them shot 2 3/4" shells in short-chambered guns. (Would have been 2 5/8" if 12ga.) They found that they got better patterns. The theory was that those old paper cases, opening slightly into the forcing cone, gave the shot a bit of additional protection on its initial contact with the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On SxS, recoil from the right barrel pulls the gun away from your face. The left barrel pushes the stock into your face, reducing in hiver felt recoil. That's why most guns which have different chokes have the right barrel more open.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.