April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (KY Jon, Mike Harrell), 172 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#486386 07/24/17 12:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Edward Grossman, Field Work at Clay Birds Outing, Sept. 1912
How to Give the Trapshooting Game a New Flavor of Variety and Excitement
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_60/outLX06/outLX06j.pdf

Arms and the Man, November 6, 1913
The Shotgun As A Means Of Sport - Clay Bird Golf
https://books.google.com/books?id=tZgwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA109&lpg
Mr. Edward Cave, writing in Country Life in America for September, presented what he called Clay Bird Golf. He described it as a fascinating new outdoor game which combines the best elements of golf and of shooting. He indicated a way to lay out the course and presented a system of scoring and rules for the game.
Our interest in this subject is such that we shall have more to say about it later on. It may be observed now, the essential principle of it is that one goes from place to place with a companion and fires either at singles or doubles thrown from concealed traps at unexpected moments and with a variety of angles and lines of flight, including overhead birds.
This plan appeals to us very strongly. We know a great many men who have shot for a season at the traps and do so no more. These are for the greater part men of the cities. When asked their reasons they say: I need exercise, and I really cannot afford to spend money for trap shooting when to get my exercise I have joined a country club where I may play golf or tennis. There are many such cases.
The cost of a clay bird golf course ought not to be greater than for a proper golf course. Each year, in this country at least, a larger number appreciate golf for its true worth. Men who scorned it for years, as a piffling pursuit, as a pastime of the senile, the old man's game, they said, upon trying it found that it is not only a game for the old man but for the young as well. They found that its chiefest merit is that it takes men into the open air and compels them to walk and swing their arms. That means exercise and exercise means more freely flowing blood and health and a greater capacity for work.
We have long held the opinion that some modification of the trap shooting game, which would make it more of a sport, would ultimately be found. We believe the suggestion for Clay Bird Golf to be of great value. Not the least benefit to accrue, as every practical reader has already concluded, is that shooting under such conditions will help a man do better field shooting, and that is not always the case with straight work at the ordinary trap.
Of course trap shooting should be continued with all the changes in its rules, which shall seem to those best advised the real improvements calculated to make it a more popular sport. It is a good game, worthy of all support. The more forms it has the better.
We sincerely hope some of the shotgun enthusiasts will quickly take up and energetically carry out sensible plans for making shotgun shooting at artificial targets a better game. We are not too long on earth as it is, and a little real pleasure, such as one gets from a successful reaching for things with a shotgun, adds much to the zest, and likely, to the length of life.

Fieldale Farms - Marshall Field's Gun Club
https://ourlocalhistory.wordpress.com/category/hunting-clubs/
Two 40-ft. towers have been erected to sail out clay ducks for the hunter in a blind below. For the quail, pheasant and partridge hunter, the store has built a 1,000-ft. fairway lined with corn shocks and rail fences. As the hunter stalks along, an accompanying triggerman follows him, releasing fast-flying clay birds that simulate the flights of the different game birds.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

American Rifleman, Sept. 1955 p. 10.
William Gun Sight Co. "Practice Bird Field"

Sidelock
Sidelock

That sounds really interesting and a lot of fun.

Are there any today?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall reading of a similar layout at the Paris, France gun club. Late 19th early 20th century or so. Antique memory doesn't bring up the book.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
That sounds really interesting and a lot of fun.

Are there any today?

I have seen "Grouse Walks" offered many times at small clubs hosting an event.

They are cumbersome, because the through-put is low, and the safety concerns are high. Clubs don't like people shooting from off of designated "pads".
Walking down a path with a loaded firearms is miles away from how most clubs operate today.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Several British gunmakers operated their own "Shooting Schools" with creative target presentations, esp. "high pheasant" incomers

Charles Lancaster's "Stonebridge Park"

The nattily dressed Dr Wonko and his gun and shell bearers wink

The earliest U.S. clays "game" I've found it this:
Sporting Life, December 5, 1883 A Walking Shooting Match
At the great clay pigeon tournament in Chicago next May, match No. 6 for the Ligowsky sweepstakes, entrance $5, double birds, fourth notch, is to be shot under the following novel conditions: Five traps screened to be placed at irregular points in front of the score, which must be placed 30 yards for farthest trap. The trap judge will prepare 13 strips of folded paper, containing each a number from 3 to 15 respectively, from which the shooter will draw one slip, which the judge will privately examine, and allow the puller only to see. The shooter is to walk in a general right line, from the score toward the traps, upon receiving the reply yes from the puller to his query are you ready? When the shooter is underway the number of steps indicated on the drawn slip, the puller will pull any two traps, one after the other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot at a club in MI that has was different "grouse walk". A standard trap house throwing trap targets, but instead of lining up 16 yards back, they have 6 walkways radiating from the house, from 9 o'clock, 8 7 5,4,and 3 o'clock. You load a shell, and begin to walk towards the trap house. Then the puller releases the bird at random times. The squad shoots to each station around and back, for 12 shots, then around with doubles. Take your option after your first miss Great fun, and a good simulator of shooting over pointing fogs

Sidelock
Sidelock

We use to play baseball not golf with a backyard thrower. A batter, a pitcher, an ump and a guy on deck or adding his opinion on a hit or fowl tip.

A miss was a strike, a partial was a fowl tip and a dust was a single. You kept track where your own runner was at or when we had more people we had teams.

It was great fun when we were all young and dumb.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Several British gunmakers operated their own "Shooting Schools" with creative target presentations, esp. "high pheasant" incomers

Charles Lancaster's "Stonebridge Park"

The nattily dressed Dr Wonko and his gun and shell bearers wink

Hey, I resemble that remark!

When I was in London at the end of May, I went to the WLSS, and specifically asked for: Partridge over Hedges, High Pheasant, and Grouse from a Butt.

The set-ups on their grounds were exactly as in the picture.
High tower for incoming birds straight above you at 30-60 yards, fast midi's from behind a hedge at weird angles, crossing above you at 25 yards, and "In your face" grouse, thrown somewhat down hill, low to the ground, and passing you while you stand in a simulated grouse butt.

I mention these presentations, because the clay lands behind you at the end of it's flight.
An almost impossible presentation to duplicate in the US for safety reasons.

Out there doing it best I can.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.