May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 1,116 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of years ago I bought a Russian IZH-54, which I learned was essentially a transplanted Communist Sauer. I shoot the gun well and like the style. That got me curious about Sauers so I picked up a 1960 East German Sauer from Simpson Ltd ($375 shipped with nice bluing, some case hardening and a repaired stock). Shot it for the first time this weekend. Really liked the gun. It seems to fit me well. I like the weight and style.

Now I want to learn more about Sauer shotguns -- and other, similar Germanic guns. I gather searching this forum and Shotgun World that the pre-war guns are preferred and that the quality is higher. Aside from general, buy a pre-war gun advice, what do I need to know about Sauers. Also, how does Merkel fit in. The internet chatter suggests that during the post-war era the Merkels, Sauers and Simpsons were all coming out of the same factory and were essentially equal guns. Is that true?

So, what years Sauers/Merkels should I be looking at if I want to add another one to the stable? Is there a Golden era? What about the different models? Within the East German years, are some better than others? When did quality drop/improves, etc.

Also, what about the modern era? Should I also look at Sauers/Merkels made after the wall came down?

Is there an online source that traces the history and development of these guns? Alternatively, are there any recommended books.

If it matters, I'm a skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand shooter but I like side by sides. I'm primarily a 12-gauge shooter.

In short, school me on German doubles.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 08/07/17 08:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good starting point is - J. P. Sauer & Sohn: Suhl Waffenstadt by Jim Cate (2008).

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you know where this book can be purchased , please advise. I have been looking for a copy for three years!
Best Regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazon has a used copy for for $325!

Last edited by canvasback; 08/07/17 10:46 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback,
Join the German Gun Collectors Assn. Members get a 10% discount on their books, etc. You won't have to buy that many from the fairly extensive list to recover some or all of the membership dues.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the points made by several of the folks over on the German Collector's Board is that the post-war guns were made by the same craftsmen that made the pre-war ones. They assert that the quality is essentially the same, once the Russians provided appropriate quality steel.

Post-war production appears to have been centered on Field Grade guns, made for export as a source of Hard Currency. There appears to have been quite a bit of consolidation under the Commies, with several well known pre-war names being made under the same roof, and the ressurection of names like Simson, formerly a very large concern before being taken over by the Nazis (the Simson family was Jewish) and going through a couple of name changes by war's end. Also, during post war production there was creation of the Ernst Thalmann Werks, named after the pre-war leader of the German Commies, which produced quite a few guns, many of which are available at Simpson Ltd.

Considering the drop in Simpson prices over the last few years, (I estimate between $100-$200 per gun) IMHO German Field Grade guns appear to be a great value, (although the Spanish guns are selling for even less, but let's avoid that Kettle of Worms right now) they'd make great starter doubles for kids, grandkids or other friends and relatives.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 08/07/17 12:06 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61

IMHO German Field Grade guns appear to be a great value . . . they'd make great starter doubles for kids, grandkids or other friends and relatives.

I'm a diehard bottom feeder and have a safe full of double shotguns, all purchased for mere pittance amounts ($500, give or take). Included among those are the previously mentions IZH-54, a Sterlingworth, a Miroku, a couple of British BSA guns, a Husqvarna, a Sears/AYA 100, etc. I must say I'm quite impressed by the quality of the Sauer I just got. The Simpson LTD offerings have been picked over but I'll definitely keep my eyes out for another batch and be ready to pounce when they show.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Canvasback,
Join the German Gun Collectors Assn. Members get a 10% discount on their books, etc. You won't have to buy that many from the fairly extensive list to recover some or all of the membership dues.
Mike

Mike, I have been mulling it over for a while. Inertia. But the reasons to join are starting to be compelling. Why, a 10% discount on this book would be half my annual membership fee! LOL

I was quite pleased to see the link Ken Georgi provided to the assembly of Lindner info into one volume. And as time passes, I find myself more and more drawn to the products of a smaller and smaller number of gun making areas....Philadelphia, St Etienne, Suhl and Prague. I would say membership is in my near future.

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blade...try this: http://www.757arms.com/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Oldmodel70
Blade...try this: http://www.757arms.com/

Very cool! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.