May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (dogon, Canvasback13, Hammergun, Bret Adams, Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 349 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,471
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch,

The early 50s SO series guns have a 7 pin lock along with a cocking indicator. Beretta reduced the complexity on the locks in '58 or '59. Nothing wrong with the 7 pin locks, but if they go wrong they are just harder to repair. The guns will be around 7+ pounds. The earlier guns will also have a solid rib; the later guns will have a vent rib. I don't see many early guns with a SST however, you can find DT guns.

I used to hunt with a mid-50s S3, but now hunt with a side-by-side. You should be able to find a good early SO series gun.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

In answer to pooch, I haven't used the gun all that much but probably will more this year since I have a little bit of a bismuth stockpile.

I do like the solid rib on a field gun, and yes, it is a bit over 7 pounds. Plus, it was choked full and fuller and I had Kirk Merrington open them up and do a strip and clean. They lock up like a bank vault, not at all like the modern 686 conical pin lockup (although I own and like them). Mine was a gun show impulse buy/trade; it needed a little mechanical work and the stock refinished, but I couldn't resist. KDGJ is right, they are out there, but I got into mine even with the work for less than I see them priced at. It offset all the other bad deals I've made over time.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Bernacki; 08/12/17 08:35 PM.
pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More confessions: I happen to subscribe to the Howard Hill (The Music Man)method of shooting. If I really concentrate on the target I will hit it, and stay loose. On an incomer I like to shoot the tighter barrel first, most shots are for a bird going away, so open first. Hunting can be unpredictable sometimes. I don't want to think about the process manipulating the safety to changing barrels, don't want to be worried about which barrel is selected. These things break my concentration. With two triggers simply moving my finger forward or back will give me the wanted barrel.

Dumb I guess, but that's me.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.