April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (gunmaker, LeFusil, Bob Blair, MattH, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I may drive up and hunt in Saskatchewan and/or Alberta next month. It's been fifteen years since I last hunted in Canada.

Any recent experience by a US citizen crossing into Canada and the returning to the US? I would appreciate any explanation of the process.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/19/17 09:33 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also going to bring three or four bird dogs along.

Thanks.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, it's pretty simple. Just fill in the required Canadian form and have it in triplicate. Present it to Canadian customs at port of entry. Also suggest you present your guns to US customs before leaving. They have a form to show you are the owner of the guns. Possibly eliminate headaches coming back.

Oh, I believe you are restricted to 200 rounds of ammunition on entry.

Here is the Canadian form:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5589-eng.pdf

And the US form:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%204457_0.pdf

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a Certificate of Registration for Personal effects Taken Abroad, CBP Form 4457 for each of your firearms. A copy of form RCMP GRC 5589e filled out in triplicate unsigned. There will be a $25 charge for a Firearms confirmation fee.

Doesnt hurt to have a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection signed by a licensed Vet. My experience is that so long at the animal looks healthy and you can document rabies are current you will have no issue.

Main thing is to answer their questions directly and keep your mouth otherwise shut. The border experience depends solely the attitude of the customs officer you are dealt and that is going either way equally.

Enjoy the trip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done this several times. You might want current health certificates for your dogs, tho' they have never asked me for them. They will check guns and that paperwork pretty carefully. Be patient, polite and considerate of the Canadian border people.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Main thing is to answer their questions directly and keep your mouth otherwise shut.

There is no better advise than that. The stories I have from acquaintances who are verbous at the best of times and like to throw a snide comment in here or there and have spent a few hours putting all the bits and pieces back in their vehicles after customs was finished

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really appreciate y'all giving me the benefit of your experience.

Thanks.

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Make sure you don't have any handguns hidden away in your toolbox. I know a lot of guys from Texas who keep one in the truck, but, haven't thought about or looked at it in a long time. Ditto specific handgun ammunition, they will tear the vehicle apart if they find a loose round of .357 or .45 that got under your seat somehow, looking for a handgun. That goes for spent ammunition in specific handgun calibers also. You will be hating life if that happens to you.
Mr. Wood and Cman have given you good advice. Document your guns as yours with US Customs long before you get there.

Have a safe trip.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent advice Ted.

Was just reading that it's been a big year so far for Canada Customs finding undeclared handguns in the vehicles of American tourists. They won't go easy on you....a night or two in the hoosegow and a $2000 to $3000 fine. Oh, and you won't get your handgun back and you will be in the computer for future reference.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I still maintain that the 4457 is only one way of proving prior ownership; the customs website specifically says this. I usually just bring a copy of my bill of sale/receipt in case US Customs gets frisky.

Where I live it is not easy to visit a customs office to obtain a signature on an 4457 form. I cannot confirm the legality, but I've had no trouble getting my local postmaster to sign and postmark the 4457 as an ex-officio customs agent. No customs agent has turned it down so far...Geo

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.