April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bbman3, RWG, LGF, eeb, Skeeterbd, 1 invisible), 1,070 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cman is on target, you'll need health certification on each dog, licenses and all the firearm documents. Depending on the custom agent plan 20 minuets just in case.
Keep us posted of your trip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the rules governing entry into Canada with an antique shotgun (e.g. pre 1897) any different or more easily satisfied?

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Antique would be defined by Canada and that is defined as 'no PAL required'. It is established mainly on the availability of ammunition for said firearm. If the ammunition is obsolete then often the gun is considered antique. You might want to check the RCMP as I believe there may be a list of antique guns. No breech loading Sxs in regular guage regardless of age is considered an antique

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, James, Tamid, thank you.

It occurred to me that I also have a personal GPS locator beacon called a Spot 2. It relays my position up to a satellite and then down to a website. I can also activate a 911 feature that will give my gps coordinates along with a "send help emergency" message.

I also have a couple of GPS dog tracking systems. One a Garmin Alpha and the other is a Garmin Astro. When I ordered them it seems there were some restrictions on their being sold in Canada.

Do y'all think those will be a problem?

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 08/23/17 11:07 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, can't speak to the locator beacon but GPS dog tracking systems are sold up here.

Can't imagine what the legal restrictions might be unless it's use of a particular bandwidth that is allocated to another use by our version of the FCC.

Having said that, I can't imagine customs officials even knowing about that issue, never mind it being a problem. Guns, other weapons and things they can charge duty on seem to be what they are interested in.

BTW, if you want the RCMP to look after you very well, maybe even set you up in a motel, on the government's dime, just lose your passport, cross at an unauthorized border point and look for the local constabulary. They'll look after you nicely. Oh yeah, don't forget to call yourself Miguel. If you go this route don't forget to send a note of thanks to our selfie king, Trudeau.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/23/17 11:33 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
Are the rules governing entry into Canada with an antique shotgun (e.g. pre 1897) any different or more easily satisfied?

I'll never understand the idea so common among Americans (in my experience) that other sovereign nations would have laws and regulations that mirror the USA. Particularly with regards to any sort of gun.

I don't mean to crap on you Owenjj3 at all. You've just reminded me of it and you are asking the question so that suggests you expect us to be different. But so many don't and sometimes they get their ass in a sling as a result.

When I go to the US, as when I travel to any foreign country, I expect things to be different. And they are.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
I have not run my dogs in Canada in 5 years.
At that time, the Garmin and the SportDog, both were using frequencies reserved in Canada for emergency response, and so, we illegal to use.

You may wish to check the Garnin and Sportdog websites for their FAQ's about that.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is not the place to acquire knowledge of legal requirements for border crossings and equipment usage in Canada.

Find Canadian government information sources you can hang your hat on.

The Canadian version of the FCC is called Industry Canada.

They regulate the use of transmitters in Canada and can tell you if your GPS locator systems are legal or not.

For ANYTHING of value (guns, electronics, cameras, etc), obtain at US Customs PRIOR to crossing a 'declaration of personal affects taken abroad' and have it properly endorsed by a customs agent. Else, you will be 'importing' it on the way back.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got this by googling "hunting in Canada document requirements."

Bruce

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/414/~/canadian-requirements-for-taking-firearm-%2F-rifle-to-canada-to-hunt

From the Garmin site. The same paragraph applies to the Astro as well.

Due to varying international regulations, this version of the Alpha is approved for use only in the United States. The sale and unlicensed use of the Garmin Alpha dog tracking and training system in any form is currently prohibited by the Canadian government. In June 2009, Industry Canada announced that the MURS radio frequency used by the Alpha would be allowed in Canada following a 5-year transition period. However, in June 2014, Industry Canada reversed its position, noting “the Department does not feel that the introduction of MURS devices in Canada is warranted at this time, and has decided to defer the introduction of MURS devices in Canada until a clearer indication of actual need is provided by Canadian MURS advocates and/or stakeholders.” Garmin remains interested in offering the Alpha to our Canadian customers, and will be contacting Industry Canada in support of that goal. Potential Canadian customers should also contact their local Industry Canada office to express their desire to have the product approved for use in the country.

Last edited by Bruce Bernacki; 08/23/17 01:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder where Mike is going to borrow the bird dogs?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.