April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (CJF, susjwp, Wild Skies), 1,303 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#489192 09/01/17 05:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a follow up to an e-mail I posted almost a month ago for a Beretta GR3 that was being sold for around $1200. I bought it and I couldn't be more happier. 28" barrels, cross bolt, single selective trigger, pistol grip, beavertail, extractors, ventilated rib, and Pachmayr solid pad. It has some nice engraving on the action. The wood is strong where it needs to be and the checkering pattern has no run overs. I plan on taking it to Bull Run Regional Shooting Center and try it on sporting clays. I keep thinking about getting an SKB 385 sporting clays. They're out there, but they are usually priced around $2200. Depending on how the Beretta feels and shoot, I may hold off.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Colin1949
This is a follow up to an e-mail I posted almost a month ago for a Beretta GR3 that was being sold for around $1200. I bought it and I couldn't be more happier. 28" barrels, cross bolt, single selective trigger, pistol grip, beavertail, extractors, ventilated rib, and Pachmayr solid pad. It has some nice engraving on the action. The wood is strong where it needs to be and the checkering pattern has no run overs. I plan on taking it to Bull Run Regional Shooting Center and try it on sporting clays. I keep thinking about getting an SKB 385 sporting clays. They're out there, but they are usually priced around $2200. Depending on how the Beretta feels and shoot, I may hold off.

I'd say holding off is a wise decision. I bought a 485 20ga with a high rib, thinking it would make me a skeet legend. Instead, I discovered that I could not hit low 7. Couldn't figure out what was up until I started covering the target with the rib. And here I thought high ribs were supposed to let you float the target. I'm an SKB fan, but I think I'll stick with the field guns. Don't know how the current Turkish made SKB sxs target guns are working out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Colin1949

Congratulations. Solid gun with some weight to it making it good choice for round of sporting clays. They also made some 'Empire Grade' for Charles Daly and some 626s for Orvis of Manchester Vt. (model Waterfower or Wildfowler). They made 626 Onyx 3.5", but I have not come across sample in many, many years. frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Charles Daly things were not cross bolted from what I've seen.

The height of a rib in itself has nothing to do with where a gun shoots

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
The Charles Daly things were not cross bolted from what I've seen.

The height of a rib in itself has nothing to do with where a gun shoots

Thanks, Wonko. I get that. But with all the sxs I shoot reasonably well, I float the target (or bird) above the rib. I thought that in particular, on guns designed for target shooting--which would be those with high ribs--that would also be true. Seems odd you'd want a gun for skeet where you have to blot out the target to hit it. Maybe the one I had didn't shoot where it was supposed to. But in any case, it didn't shoot where I needed it to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats on a very nice gun. I searched for a GR2 for several years and never found one I wanted. I did find a 626 Onyx, which has a pretty high rib, and have greatly enjoyed using it. I can float the target with it and shoot it better than most guns I have. I later bought a 425, and I have to blot out the target with it and really struggle to shoot it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Seems odd you'd want a gun for skeet where you have to blot out the target to hit it. Maybe the one I had didn't shoot where it was supposed to. But in any case, it didn't shoot where I needed it to.

I suspect the gun shot exactly where it was supposed to but the stock was not suited so that it would shoot where YOU wanted it to. Pretty simple adjusto the comb and raise the POI. Gun Fitting 101 - - TabA/SlotB I had to raise the comb on my GR3 1/2" to get it to where I could see the rib past the action and shoot where I wanted it to

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 09/03/17 11:57 AM.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In my case, I saw plenty of rib. I won't buy a gun if I can't see the rib when I mount it. Not sure I would've known what to do if I'd seen any more rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The view is immaterial. Churchill suggests that target focus is prime and seeing the gun is not required. Ribs are not of consequence.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The eye wants the bead area of the rib to be on, or slightly under the target/bird, and it will put it there unless you make a conscious effort to "float" the bird above it. When you see too much rib, the comb is too high (if you are mounting the gun properly with cheek firmly on wood), and the gun WILL shoot high. You will miss over the bird.

The view may be immaterial but I've never found a gun that didn't shoot high when I saw too much rib. I've never found one that didn't shoot low if I didn't see enough rib. Immaterial or not, on a gun with a mid-bead, when the beads sit on top of each other with a proper mount, the gun almost always shoots flat, or not over 60/40 high.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/04/17 07:38 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.