Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was only able to see pictures. When will the descriptions be posted?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
A.H. Fox shotgun prices are starting to creep up into coveted Parker territory.

As esteemed board member of long ago stated there will always be market for best quality in top shape especially if rare when made and sold in country it was crafted. If you like many do not have funds to play this game do not worry. Good options are Facile Princeps actioned guns of Brimingham UK or pre-War J.P.Sauer & Son of Suhl Thuringen Germany. I picked those only because from outside they share resemblance to Philadelphia PA produced A.H.Fox.

Thanks guy, I don't know what I'd do without you.

I recently bought a 12 gauge Model 12. That's all I need. And to be frank that's all I ever really needed.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's an editorial I wrote on the collection- if you follow the link you can see additional photos but the text is below...

https://jamesdjulia.com/press-release/finest-collection-h-fox-shotguns-ever-come-auction/

The Finest Collection of A.H. Fox Shotguns Ever to Come to Auction

By Josh Loewensteiner, Consultant & Sales Representative

Julia’s Fall 2017 Extraordinary Firearms auction will include a selection of some of the finest guns in the world. Strangely enough, the most important marketing piece ever used by the A.H. Fox Gun Company was from President Teddy Roosevelt, who was quoted as saying his Fox FE Grade shotgun was “The Finest Gun In the World.”

Julia’s was honored to market Teddy’s Fox in our Fall 2010 sale and sold the gun for an astounding world record price which still stands today of $865,000! And while no one would argue the historic importance of Teddy’s Fox, there are other Fox shotguns that easily equal or even trump the gun for artistic beauty and workmanship. Several of the guns that Julia’s is presenting in it’s October 31st, November 1st and 2nd auction from the prestigious Dana Tauber Estate Collection would achieve this title.

The A.H. Fox shotgun is easily the most simple mechanism of any of the major American makers. The gun has the fewest moving parts and the action and design are solid with virtually no known flaws. So much so, that perhaps aside from the Parker Reproduction (offered at a much lower price point and built in Japan), the A.H. Fox shotgun was the most successfully produced reproduction in American shotgun history.

Julia’s October auction includes the Dana J. Tauber Estate collection which is unquestionably the finest collection of A.H. Fox shotguns ever to come to auction. Dana started collecting in the late 1980s and was careful and persistent, and became extremely knowledgeable on Fox Guns. He studied the guns and passionately pursued the finest conditioned examples he could obtain, in many instances “stepping up” to purchase the very best. He pursued quality over price and the final collection, which will be offered in its entirety in Julia’s Fall 2017 sale, shows just how refined and exceptional the grouping is.

The collection itself is approximately 40 exceptional Fox shotguns and includes 3 of the finest FE Grades known, including the finest FE grade 20 ga known. The 20 ga is offered with a pre-sale estimate of $150,000-225,000. The only known 12 ga FE with factory original double gold dogs, which Dana considered as a mate to the 20 ga is offered with a pre-sale estimate of $75,000-125,000, and it is well known that this gun was a special factory show gun. The third FE 12 ga is a near mint gun in more traditional FE grade styling (still fancier than Teddy’s gun with gold lightning bolts on the barrels) is offered with a pre-sale estimate of $60,000-90,000.

To give a sense as to the depth of the collection, Dana collected 5 A.H. Fox guns that are near mint with original boxes. Included in the grouping are Fox A grades in 12 ga, 16 ga, and 20 ga which are all near mint with original boxes. These three guns could be a collection all their own! There is also an early CE Grade 12 ga that is near mint with its original box (offered with a pre-sale estimate of $6,500-9,500), and a Sterlingworth 12 ga two barrel set (a true rarity) that is virtually mint with its original box!

Fox lovers will likely never again have an opportunity like the one we will see in the Julia’s sales room this fall. The Tauber Collection is a landmark collection for lovers of Foxes and American Sporting Shotguns alike. Having known Dana since about 1990, I can say unequivocally it is the single finest grouping of A.H. Fox shotguns I have ever seen. Dana preferred quality over quantity and condition over any other factor. This collection represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to see and collect some of the very finest A.H. Fox guns extant. No doubt, in years to come, guns from the Tauber collection will carry a certain monetary premium because of their provenance. Indeed, they are some of the “finest” in the world…

About the author:
Josh Loewensteiner, Julia’s regional Sales Agent, is a lifelong firearms enthusiast who began studying, collecting and shooting guns with his father and brother when he was just eight years old- he has been studying firearms for nearly 30 years! He particularly enjoys the classic American sporting guns. Josh is a Life member of the Parker Gun Collectors Association, Life Member of the NRA, a member of the Lefever Arms Collectors Association, the L.C. Smith Collectors Association, the Colt Collectors Association, the A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Association, and the Winchester Arms Collectors Association. Josh has a proven track record in delivering outstanding customer service, as well as sales and marketing success. He has been a part of the Julia’s Team since 2013 and represents clients throughout the country counseling them on their treasured firearms and has become a trusted expert in helping clients to achieve success in the monetization of firearms at auction. Josh can be reached at JLoew@jamesdjulia.com and 704-280-2382.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
The sadder aspect of the sale is that a 69 year-old man died making the sale possible. His obit (that I was able to find online) was rather sketchy for someone whose fortunes enabled him to have such a great collection. Gil

Those guns are pretty impressive. Let us hope everyone left behind wins and boxed guns are bought by those who can afford to recycle them and use the guns for the purpose intended.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He was a collector of high grade guns. That's it.

So what if he didn't use them.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is something to be said for museum-like stewardship.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS

There is something to be said for museum-like stewardship.

Pretty sure I couldn't do that. Those FE's and Becker bored guns look like they are dying to hit the fields!

I better not bid! laugh

Last edited by canvasback; 09/16/17 10:01 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Josh Loewensteiner
Included in the grouping are Fox A grades in 12 ga, 16 ga, and 20 ga which are all near mint with original boxes. These three guns could be a collection all their own! There is also an early CE Grade 12 ga that is near mint with its original box (offered with a pre-sale estimate of $6,500-9,500), and a Sterlingworth 12 ga two barrel set (a true rarity) that is virtually mint with its original box!

Kudos to Dana for gathering the collection together . . . but shame on the ORIGINAL purchasers of those guns for not using them. Maybe they had good reasons . . . smile

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 09/16/17 10:13 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have come into several guns that were unfired, new, in-the-box many years after they were sold.

They aren't, anymore.

I have an accumulation of stuff, with no real focus as a collection.

I do have a collection of ex-girlfriends, I guess.

Some guys that are into the whole Fox gun thing will get some interesting guns. Good thing for them.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I hope you don't have your collection all boxed up in your basement.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.