March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gorgeous rifles Ken, well done and good luck finding your solution. As others have mentioned I'd do all I could to keep the rifles as made and use them as they are.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
My comments were based on what I could see from the photos as well as other published information. Regarding the link you cited concerning the 6.5x54, the commenter kuduae is well known to us and his opinion is to be taken seriously, and with deference. His posting of a photo showing the 6.5x54 cartridges side by side, show pretty clearly that a 6.5x54 Mauser chamber will not accept a 6.5x54 M-S cartridge. In my comment, I mentioned manufacturing tolerances,but the differences shown in kuduae's photo are much too great to be covered by that. Consequently, I have to believe, now, that you have a Mauser rifle chambered for the Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge, as unusual as that is.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

This comment is off the topic, but I think these two rifles have the best stock lines I've ever seen on German rifles, which is to say they look like really fine American stocks from pre-war times. Are there other rifles among members here by this maker that we might see? Also, information about the maker would be most interesting.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I noticed the same thing Bill, the stock work reminded me more a pre-war American custom than a German gun. I'll post some additional photos tonight, but a couple other items struck me once I had the guns in hand:

- how slender the forestocks are

- the fine workmanship in the inletting, a true "minimalist" approach to removing wood inside the action.

- the horn forend tip is not a solid block of horn connected to the end of the wood, but rather a thinner exterior covering of horn under a wooden inner structure. (pictures will make my explanation clearer.)

More to follow - thanks again to the hive for the input,
Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 09/26/17 11:55 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some additional photos of the guns showing some of the finishing details.

Slender forestock -

If you look closely at the horn forend cap, you can see that the horn is really more of 1/4" thick sheath around the wood.

Additional finishing details -

Barella's mark on the underside of the barrels -

Additional barrel markings. Anyone recognize either of the marks on the left or right side? The initials with the heart appear to be "E.W". Likely the craftsman who made all or part of the rifle? I'm not sure what the two what look like cursive "R"s represent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 09/26/17 08:50 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO this Original Mauser modell looks, without the lenght of fore stock, quite similar: http://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/arme/mauser-african-modell/?lang=en

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:

Stunning set, and very well bought, too! If these were mine, I, like the other posters here would most likely just clean the chamber with a 7X57 reamer, and call it done.

Completely off topic, did you know this set is for sale on Armslist for $1900 out of Michigan:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7267788/mi...n-guild-guns--m

Caveat emptor!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Skeettx - I appreciate the input on the E.W. initials. I figured Raimey might some insight.

Relic6165 - I had not seen the listing on armslist until you pointed it out. These are the same guns, and the verbiage is the same from the original listing. I sent a message into Armslist via their webpage notifying them of the scam. Thanks for the heads-up. Caveat emptor is right.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
Despite other knowledgeable people suggesting running a reamer into the 7mm, I wouldn't do it. Since it went through a view and firing proof at Suhl( and is smaller-not larger), it has a proper chamber, now you just have to find what nominal cartridge it is for.
Mike

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.