May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Mark II, Kip, Lloyd3, Argo44, bushveld), 1,063 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,528
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#492999 10/25/17 06:44 PM
tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wot does the board value a high condition 12 ga. GR4 Beretta w/30" bbls and M&F fixed chokes w/or w/o aftermarket recoil pad?

Also, in the same vein do you consider a BSS [Miroku made, of course] to be the better gun?

The Great Pumpkin hit me up w/this quandary, justin case ya wanna know :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

$1200 top retail.
No.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually think 1.2K is a bit rich, based on, 12 gauge, 30", M&F.
I'd take the Beretta over the Browning.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do those Berettas have the vent rib or are those just on the GR-3 models? I never cared for that rib on a SxS but have always felt the Beretta was in a different class than the Brownings. Other's opinions may differ.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tw
Wot does the board value a high condition 12 ga. GR4 Beretta w/30" bbls and M&F fixed chokes w/or w/o aftermarket recoil pad?

Also, in the same vein do you consider a BSS [Miroku made, of course] to be the better gun?

The Great Pumpkin hit me up w/this quandary, justin case ya wanna know :-)

I would rate them about equal. For example, GR4 would be similar to BSS BLE Gr II. In this case the Browning would be substantially more expensive.
One of the most under-appreciated doubles in this handling category were the Sears Roebuck Model 100s by AyA. It's basically A&D actioned BLE that externally mimics Winchester Model 21. It had well struck barrels, nicely blued action and solid piece of walnut with fine checkering. Butt plate and pistol grip was bovine horn or something similar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen GR3's sold for $1200 and they're non-ejectors. I would have to think that the GR4 w/ejectors and a bit more engraving would likely be more than that.
Personally I think that the GR cross-bolt makes it a superior gun for heavy use but that is just a feeling and not backed up with any data of any kind.
OTOH I have not heard of any problems with BSS aside from someone here mentioning the triggers needing attention. The GR is not particularly w/out fault in that regard either but then both it and the BSS are field,not target guns.
JMO of course

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a BSS until it went off face. I shimmed the hook, and continue to shoot it. I was flabbergasted when that gun went off face. I'd like to find another one and shoot it until it becomes off face, too.

I paid $1150, AIR, for it several years ago. They can be bought for less, but not often.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a GR3 and several BSSs. They are different guns as far as "feel" goes. The GR3 with PG and sorta beavertail FE feels substantially lighter and quicker in my hands. The BSSs are all Sporters but feel a bit chunky in an A/B comparison. I have shot the GR3 a bunch with no issues, and the BSS feels bullet proof. I like them both. If the choice were between a GR4 and a BSS Sporter, same price and condition, I'd lean toward the GR4. Between the GR3 and the the BSS, it's a push. I've had mine for a while, but they were all around $1K when I bought them.

tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, gentlemen. Any further comparative thoughts/opinions are most welcome as well. Its more a bench racing question than anything else.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.