Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not get read all the posts looks like it did get off track but I think some gun dealers ,jewelry salesman think the customer is the enemy. Some are good enough that they convert the customer into a sale.
I see dealers all the time that say NO TIRE KICKERS ! To me this means buyer beware !!especially if there is no inspections, no return !tells me to RUN!!!!!
I am sure some are legitimate dealers that do this but usually I think they are hiding something.
John I understand your concerns but it is part of dealing with the public..... try to be patient write down all the crazy stuff they say and we will combine stories one Friday over beer maybe write a book.... It will read " You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
Monty

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

I know what the fair market value is. I ask if the gun is consignment or owned by the seller. Based on that knowledge I make reasonable offer which will not insult the seller. If that is rejected I will follow with what in CASH what will you accept? One must keep in mind is that I do not pay for mistakes of others.

I thought you just rented guns ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
John periodically brings this up. It has been his m.o. for years. For someone in the retail business, you sure have a lot of complaints about your potential customers, John.

Are you only interested in making conversation with people who spend money in your business? I was raised in a retail business. My Dad supported our family by operating a very large country store, a general merchandise type of business. I worked in there as a kid, and a teenager, and my Dad drilled into me that the customer is always right. I did not agree with him at the time, but understand now what he meant. He truly enjoyed making small talk with those who came in, even if they only bought a Coke and a pack of peanuts. He never treated tire-kickers any differently than the best customers he had. And, he would have never gone on the internet to XXXXX about them.

You have done no less than convince me I would likely not enjoy browsing in your shop. I might aggravate you if I didn't spend a wad.

SRH

In our culture the concept "the customer is always right" does not exist especially in regulated business activities which with paperwork gun selling business is. Whoever coined that stupid phrase probably sold cheap "pots and pans,...." Sure, if one sells inexpensive trinkets and such.....We believe the customer is always a customer and must be treated with respect, dignity and kindness. We expect the customer to return the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
John periodically brings this up. It has been his m.o. for years. For someone in the retail business, you sure have a lot of complaints about your potential customers, John.

Are you only interested in making conversation with people who spend money in your business? I was raised in a retail business. My Dad supported our family by operating a very large country store, a general merchandise type of business. I worked in there as a kid, and a teenager, and my Dad drilled into me that the customer is always right. I did not agree with him at the time, but understand now what he meant. He truly enjoyed making small talk with those who came in, even if they only bought a Coke and a pack of peanuts. He never treated tire-kickers any differently than the best customers he had. And, he would have never gone on the internet to XXXXX about them.

You have done no less than convince me I would likely not enjoy browsing in your shop. I might aggravate you if I didn't spend a wad.

SRH

In our culture the concept "the customer is always right" does not exist especially in regulated business activities which with paperwork gun selling business is. Whoever coined that stupid phrase probably sold cheap "pots and pans,...." Sure, if one sells inexpensive trinkets and such.....We believe the customer is always a customer and must be treated with respect, dignity and kindness. We expect the customer to return the same.

You know J, even as a kid I understood the point my Dad was trying to make to me. As an adult, you still can't seem to grasp it. Whoever coined that phrase likely expected adults to understand the intent, if not keep the letter, of the "law".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know what the fair market value is. I ask if the gun is consignment or owned by the seller. Based on that knowledge I make reasonable offer which will not insult the seller. If that is rejected I will follow with what in CASH what will you accept? One must keep in mind is that I do not pay for mistakes of others.

Can you explain this concept to me, because it remains a mystery to me.

Assuming that I am an honest seller and truthfully report my sales to the proper authorities, the difference between cash and credit card is, at most, about 3 percent -- which is on the high side for credit card processing fees. Given that, why should I get weak in the knees when somebody offers cash?

I guess the implication of a "what would you take for cash" question is that I'm going to cook the books and only pay taxes on a smaller sale. Does the question suggest that buyer assumes the seller is a crook? Is that what is being suggested?

Or, are we talking some other alternative to cash? Live chickens or baskets of fresh produce, perhaps.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/21/17 08:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher

Or, are we talking some other alternative to cash? Live chickens or baskets of fresh produce, perhaps.

cash vs. layaway maybe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the seller comes up with fair price I don't want them to fork over American Express percentage or about 3% from other companies. Asking for best price and offering credit card as payment doesn't work for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JBLondon

cash vs. layaway maybe.

This is what in our culture we understand as "smaller profit is better than no profit at all". Best cash price and expecting layaway does not work for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the seller comes up with fair price I don't want them to fork over American Express percentage or about 3% from other companies. Asking for best price and offering credit card as payment doesn't work for me.

I agree that the card processing fee can make a borderline offer unacceptable. In close calls 3 percent does make a difference. But my impression is that most people asking the cash question expect a more significant discount.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/21/17 09:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you explain this concept to me, because it remains a mystery to me.

Assuming that I am an honest seller and truthfully report my sales to the proper authorities, the difference between cash and credit card is, at most, about 3 percent -- which is on the high side for credit card processing fees. Given that, why should I get weak in the knees when somebody offers cash?

I guess the implication of a "what would you take for cash" question is that I'm going to cook the books and only pay taxes on a smaller sale. Does the question suggest that buyer assumes the seller is a crook? Is that what is being suggested?

I've always wondered that, too, bladeswitcher. Excellent question.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.