Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
LRF #498245 12/16/17 02:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a long year and a mistake on my part that I've now corrected.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, to me the most noticed feature is how flat sided it is, then the swept back grip, grip cap angle, same toe line, and the dip in the forend between the front swivel and shnable. Yes the drop at heel is less and the comb fluted but those are in my opinion improved features of a later built stock.
We really need someone here to post pics of the muenier rifle in Michaels post for comparison to Dans . I can't do it from my end.
Dan, thanks for getting the inlet pics to Fred, and Fred for posting. I wanted to know if the maker inlet for the receiver lungs. I see they are not, same as the Muenier stock I have in hand.
BTW in Michaels book/post he had mentioned that the buttplate could be a clue to the maker. Sorry to report the buttplate is a dead end. An identical plate came up on eBay several months back, it is from a Belgium made sxs that could be bought through a mail order catalogue. It was named S. Holt, probably to sound like a S. Colt. There were others with names like Westly Rikards, Hollard & Hollard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am always amazed at how you guys see details like this It tells me I'm out of my depth, but then, I'm no serious collection. However, in this case, I was thinking there is/was only one Steven Meunier rifle known. And that was the one I bought from Amoskeague's auction of Michael's rifles. And it is the one that self-destructed on me. I don't have a picture of it handy other than the shrapnel parts. Amoskeague took Auction #104 down, so I can't link to those pictures, but it is in Michael's book. Anyhow, I just don't see the connection but I'll look at it them again. Maybe I can get the hang of this someday.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael's post on the Meunier.

Some similarities. My thanks to Dan and Fred both for sharing this.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine,
Can you rescue the photos from Michael's thread so we can see them?
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this what you want to see

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks James, I'm in Nashville right now and have been out of pocket to load those.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: james-l
Is this what you want to see

Yup, that was her.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love that buttplate, wonder if it is a 1 off.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: james-l
I love that buttplate, wonder if it is a 1 off.

Which one? The one that Dan won off of gunbroker? If so, I think it is a one-off. The checkering looks like it was done by hand with a checkering file. On the other hand, the buttplate on the rifle Michael used to own, was probably purchased. I saw one similar to that on ebay a few months ago. I wish I would have bought it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.