April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (rwarren, FelixD, 2 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,853
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

That Winchester is fantastic Bob. I like that as much as your 28 gauge Model 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I shot one of the SKB 200HR the other day and was very impressed. That one was a .410 with 30" barrels. Gun had decent triggers

Jon, I think you mean "triggers" to be singular. If SKB has started offering DT's, I haven't heard of it. I've only handled several of those guns, not shot them. I've been tempted by one of their 28's (field model, not target), but I don't really need another 28ga.

I tried one of the earlier generation (still made in Japan, but post-Ithaca era) SKB's with a high rib. I was shooting in a skeet league at the time, and I thought it might be just the gun. But when I discovered that I'd flat miss low 7 every time unless I blotted out the target, that gun went away. It might well have been a barrel regulation issue (simply shooting too low), but I always thought a high rib was supposed to allow you to float the target--which I do even with my low rib guns. Good to hear about a positive experience with one of their current high rib smallbores. They do seem to be offering interesting options for those looking for a smallbore target sxs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are right Larry. Trigger not triggers. But (s) aside the trigger pull was very good. Not too light or one of those 8 pound trigger pulls I can't stand. Give me 4-6 pounds and I'm very happy.

The vent rib on a double is not for everybody and the HR which I took to stand for high rib does have a vent rib. But I don't know if the field guns come in 30" barrels in small bores. As the original poster was looking for 12 ga it does not matter. As to the POI on the HR none of my misses with the .410 due to that. I just missed. A 28 ga of .410 30" SKB would be a lot of fun for released birds or clay targets.

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Considering your requirement of brick-like reliability there are only a handful of sxs that will work. I know because Ive broken many different sxs guns shooting the snot out of them at targets. Your BSS meets the reliability criterion and at an excellent price point. Ive run a few 25 straights at skeet and wobble skeet with both my 12 and 20 gauge BSS shotguns with the original chokes. Both of them are LM in the right barrel and Holy Cow extra full in the left. Makes for nice soot balls. I shoot for fun and not score and have learned to enjoy tight chokes. Shoot what you have and see how it goes. Your other options are an original Winchester 21 (not a CSMC gun) or a nice, new Perazzi. 12 gauge 21s are relatively reasonably priced right now. The Perazzi is, well, not so reasonably priced, but an outstanding gun. If you can find a heavy framed Webley & Scott 700 in good shape that would work as well.
Have fun,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're new to the clay pigeon games you may want to try skeet with something other than a gun choked mod/full. You'll probably be disappointed with your scores. A skeet score of 125/125 with full chokes is quite hard to do. The " big boys " shooting skeet use SK/SK for chokes - must be a good reason for doing it. A couple of hundred for choke tubes is cheaper than another gun and makes it more versatile for any game you may want to try. Plus you'll be shooting something you're use to shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any gun you shoot well will be perfect for occasional skeet. Remember: Beware of the man who shoots one gun.

Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I love how the last two replies are 180 contradictory, yet both make perfect sense to me. Im sensing there are few absolutes in wingshooting.

This is very interesting.

Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JNW-

Thank you, sir.

Originally Posted By: JNW
Your other options are an original Winchester 21 (not a CSMC gun) or a nice, new Perazzi.

Id had no idea Perazzi made side-by-sides. My bankers certainly had no idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the same way Im thinking about buying Liechtenstein.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.