April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To begin with, I own dozens and dozens of shotguns, auto shotguns, pump shotguns, over and under shotguns, and quite a few side by side shotguns, including A.H. Fox, L.C. Smith, Lefever, Miroku, AyA Model 100, Huglue, Stevens, and my latest love, a 12 gauge 2 3/4" 30" barreled 1959 V. Bernardelli S. Uberto I Charles Daly import, choked improved modified and full.

Bladeswitcher sold me my Bernardelli, and it weighs 6 3/4 pounds and handles well, it fits me, and I'm just head over heels in love with it.

I occasionally shoot doves, but otherwise I have no real use for a light game gun choked full and improved modified.

I shoot skeet two or sometimes three times a week with Blade and my friends, and it's seldom we shoot trap or sporting clays, and if we do I certainly have better trap guns than my Bernardelli.

My Berardelli is nice, but it's a $600 gun, with an added half inch pad, and has no real collector's value.

My inclination is to ship the gun to Mike Orlen and specify about .008 in the right barrel and .012 in the left, so that I could shoot skeet, 16 yard trap, casual sporting clays, and even hunt with it.

But while I regularly have other guns choked tighter than modified reamed out, something about this Berardelli makes me pause and want to ask for advice from devoted side by side gun fanciers.

The late Michael McIntosh thought that no choke in the right barrel and .015 in the left was the perfect side by side upland game gun.

I've always wanted a gun choked that way, but don't own one.

Or I might have both barrels choked .012, because I've found a tight improved cylinder does all I want to do with a shotgun.

Any ideas, from the board?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 992B; 12/20/17 01:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably the first thing you should do is to determine what you would be using it mostly for and pattern it with the loads and distances that you would be shooting it. My SxS's are all choked IC/MOD and I do well with them. My first SxS was choked MOD/FULL and I did surprisingly well with it. It seemed to me that an open choke would hurt me more at distance than a tighter one would close. I believe it was either McIntosh or Hill that suggested that a double would be best choked at a two choke difference than one, instead of IC/MOD to try SKT/MOD as an example.
I've never had a double opened and one member here has said that he wouldn't consider it. If you have had good work and success then I don't see why you shouldn't if you want it to be more versitle. Incidently, I just picked up a SxS 12 ga. choked .003 right and .011 left, and after patterning it at 20 & 30 yrds. I find it amazing how little constriction is needed. This particular gun was purchased expressly for woodcock and grouse hunting next year.
Hope this helps,
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 992B
To begin with, I own dozens and dozens of shotguns....

....I'm just head over heels in love with it....

....My inclination is to....specify about .008 in the right barrel and .012 in the left, so that I could shoot skeet, 16 yard trap, casual sporting clays, and even hunt with it....

What if someone were to save the cost of barrel work, and just shoot a few rounds of each of the clays disciplines and see what happens. See if the gun can smoke 'em. The next gun doesn't seem like it's too far down the road, maybe it'll be choked differently. I wouldn't be opposed to choke work, but you could get the next six hundred dollar gun for a pretty good discount if this one might have a place as is, like in the duck blind. Only thoughts, nothing more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Naturally before doing anything with chokes one patterns the gun and tries it at shooting clay disks or disks with "wings" first. From logical standpoint DT SxS choked 3/4-full makes no sense. What would make sense are cyl-1/2, cyl-3/4 or full, skeet or 1/4-3/4 or skeet or 1/4-full. I mean, in hunting gun why would you want two single barrel shotguns fused into one with very close performing choke combination? Why not just go with modern good handling light weight semi-auto and 1/4 or half choke tube installed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: 992B
To begin with, I own dozens and dozens of shotguns....

....I'm just head over heels in love with it....

....My inclination is to....specify about .008 in the right barrel and .012 in the left, so that I could shoot skeet, 16 yard trap, casual sporting clays, and even hunt with it....

What if someone were to save the cost of barrel work, and just shoot a few rounds of each of the clays disciplines and see what happens. See if the gun can smoke 'em. The next gun doesn't seem like it's too far down the road, maybe it'll be choked differently. I wouldn't be opposed to choke work, but you could get the next six hundred dollar gun for a pretty good discount if this one might have a place as is, like in the duck blind. Only thoughts, nothing more.

Craig, that gun MIGHT be good in the duck blind . . . if the poster hunts ducks, and if he were able to shoot lead in it. But as is, it's clearly choked too tight for steel. So unless he shoots ducks and wants to pay for the more expensive nontox loads, opening it up to nothing tighter than mod would seem to be a good idea. Then he could even shoot steel at ducks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one 1894 Remington with mod/full, one SK/SK, and five with LM/LM. If skeet was more my game it would be IC/IC and that way you could still shoot most any game. I'm not a great shot, but do shoot three times a week and don't feel handicapped with LM/LM. I do my own choke work so the cost is not a factor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no problem with opening chokes in non collector guns. Cylinder or near cylinder bores have always produced the best patterns for me at the ranges I normally shoot, which is seldom over 30 yards. Modern shot cups provide their own "choke" that the old timers didn't have the benefit of. A couple of my English guns are factory bored cylinder and full, which certainly gives a wide latitude for variable shots. I like them. To each their own.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I support opening them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Why not just go with modern good handling light weight semi-auto and 1/4 or half choke tube installed?

Because they are ugly.

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Craig, that gun MIGHT be good in the duck blind . . . if the poster hunts ducks, and if he were able to shoot lead in it.

Or send it to me and I'll hunt pheasants with it in heavy wind.

I suppose it isn't cost effective but I put tubes in one of my guns and then it is the right gun every day, no matter the game, the conditions, or regulations.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my favorite "hunting Shotguns" is a Husqvarna hammerless SxS that was originally choked Full & Fuller. I had it opened to Improved Cylinder & Modified; and have been very pleased with the results. I also use it for informal Sporting Clays.

Its probably not good idea to do so with an expensive collector graded SxS, but great for a user shotgun.

JERRY

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.