March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a pair of Russells several years ago. I got measured by the boss at the Vintagers. I spent quite a while with him deciding on exactly the configuration I wanted based on his recommendations. I paid for them and waited over a year punctuated by multiple phone calls and e-mails. When they finally came they didn't resemble what I had ordered and they didn't fit at all. They messed around two more times and a total of about two years sending me their best guess as to what I'd ordered and what would fit me. Finally they said they'd tried their best and couldn't fit me, no refund offered but I could keep the ill fitting ones I had at that point. The boots were two different sizes!! They were so uncomfortable as to be unwearable. I finally found a guy with different sized feet that they fit and gave them to him. So don't tell me about Russell boots. Poor product, poorer customer service. Never again!

My favorite boots remain my many years old LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes in all but the warmest days in the field.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
My favorite boots remain my many years old LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes in all but the warmest days in the field.

I just ordered another pair of them this afternoon. I cannot even begin to estimate how many pairs I have worn out, sent back for new bottoms, and started over with new ones again. They cover what I need very well, along with my other boots.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/28/17 07:06 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I'll add is that whenever I find boots that I plan on wearing constantly, if at all possible I buy 2 pairs and wear them on alternate days. I find giving your boots a day to dry out before wearing them again will prolong the life of both pairs past the point of wearing out a pair and replacing with another. I have one pair marked odd and the other even for the day of the month, it works out in the end.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I go a ton. My experience has been that it really comes down to any boot w/stitching will get chewed up in briars, sunflowers, grass, whatever. It is extremely abrasive.

Because of this, my favorites are Danner Mountain Light II's, Meindl Perfect Hunters/Hikers. All have one piece leather uppers w/little to no stitching. The Danners, although a bit short, are the bomb for me in decent weather. And can be recrafted.

Even w/these boots, I still use a tube or two of Shoe Goo a year, spreading on the toe and sides where they begin to show some wear. I got 5 years out of my last Mnt Light II's till I set them too close to the evening fire drying out.

In snow and mud, I like Mucks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Two words Russell Moccasin....the South Forty Signature Birdshooter is by far the best walking boot I've ever wore.

Anyone say different they don't know jAck shitz.

at $521 a copy and nearly the same as the Russel model I have, I can say definitively, they won't hack it in Iowa. Not even close.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Have had my Filson boots nearly fifteen years and I hunt quite a bit. Getting pretty beat down now. I did have new toe caps put on a few years back. Not waterproof but otherwise about perfect for me. Not looking forward to buying a new pair as the price has more than double since I bought mine.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Russells seemed to be loved or hated.

I actually feel both ways at times. Especially when it is wet out.

I have over 20 different pairs. None made to measure. None ordered from Russell directly so I have never had to endure their waiting times or been happy with or disappointed by their trying to custom fit me. I simply buy either size 9.5 or 10 depending.

On the bad side. They, with maybe the exception of their gortex lined models, not I say again not waterproof. Even their vaunted triple vamp is a sieve. Except for their gortex lined I would never choose to wear their boots on a wet hunting day.

As for comfort. I obviously like them, but recognize they, unless ordered, do not have much support or cushioning.

I think they are an acquired taste. I cannot say they are worth the price of custom order as despite my closet full I have never ordered custom, (i am too frugal) I can say I like them as day to day shoes now that I am retired, and as hunting boots.

My favorite light hunting boot is the South forty, and the sheep boots my favorite heavy boot. My office shoes are art carter boots. i wear their simple moccasins around the house all the time. Even as I type this.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you like the Bean pac boot style, look at Schnee's version.

https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/

I have both insulated and uninsulated pac boots and find them more supportive than many traditional hunting boots. Plus, I like their Bob sole. Obviously, they work great in wet conditions. I wear the uninsulated boot when it's in the high 20's and the insulated boots I have worn elk hunting with temperatures below 20-30 degrees and find them comfortable and supportive.

These boots use much thicker leather and rubber-very durable!

Last edited by rtw; 12/29/17 11:53 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Schnees are obviously good for wet conditions (and a very reputable brand) but I need better support than that. The idea of those being called "the best elk hunting boot in the world" seems odd to me. They're just pac style boots. I would turn my ankle in those boots in the mountains...not to mention the lack of foot support. I can appreciate pac boots but at the end of a day, my feet are always pretty tired after wearing them.

Boots are obviously a very individual thing. Find what works for you and get outside more often!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only pair of bespoke boot I've ever owned is the Gokey "Botte Suavage" Santa Claus brought me the Christmas of my junior year in high school. I'll be 70 in June, so that makes 53 years with the same pair of boots. They do not get much use nowadays as I've switched to Muck Boots, but I quail and rabbit hunted in GA briers for many many a year in them. At least two replacement soles and part of the uppers replaced. The water proof dressing they came with is still available and I've always kept them water-proofed just in case I find the fountain of youth...Geo

Not a reasonable suggestion for Brent maybe but just a point that bespoke is a good option. How much do those things cost now days?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.