March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the luck to spend some time with the late Giovanni Metelli, head of the Beretta premium gun department. His view was that each generation of SO guns was an improvement, contraty to the common view that older is better.

The SO design is the only high end OU I have encountered that manages to incorporate side reinforcement, in the form of the replaceable shoulders, that keeps the action narrow as well as shallow. Compare the width of an SO with any "Boss" design to see the difference. It is one of the best OU sidelocks ever built.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
It is one of the best OU sidelocks ever built.

It is a very well built gun - no doubt, and looks beautiful. To actually shoot a sidelock o/u I prefer the Merkel 303 - mainly for it's faster handling and lighter weight.

In my view the SO wins on looks, but the Merkel on handling

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Often the SO designation is engraved on the trigger guard.

The older Berettas don't have this kind of standard marking. The older S2 and S3 guns contained the model designation. The S3ELs and S3EELLs from the 1970s have a serial number on the trigger guard. I'm not sure when/if Beretta standardized the trigger guard designation marking.

I also have the old thread from 2004 with the SO discussion, but is a pdf file and I don't know how to post it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 12/29/17 05:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just looked at an S3EL at a very attractive price. It has some issues, most of which appear to be minor. From the 50's I think, with cocking indicators. Straight grip, 28" barrels, tight chokes. Pretty clearly a field gun. I'm not an OU guy, but I may take a chance on this one, take care of the minor issues and, if I don't like it, pass it on to someone who does. Very nice SNST when I tried it. Standard inertia variety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently bought an S3EL for a good price because it has a straight English stock and double triggers. That is the profile I prefer and it is also what kept the price down compared to its ST brethren.

Unlike later heavier SOs this 12 bore with 28” tubes from 1969 handles great. Even with the leather cover pad I added to bring the LOP out to 15”, the total weight is only 7’ 6”. Came with Briley thin wall chokes already installed. CG is 4” forward of the front trigger at the hinge pin.

Happy camper I am!
Dr. p

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Often the SO designation is engraved on the trigger guard.

The older Berettas don't have this kind of standard marking. The older S2 and S3 guns contained the model designation. The S3ELs and S3EELLs from the 1970s have a serial number on the trigger guard. I'm not sure when/if Beretta standardized the trigger guard designation marking.

I also have the old thread from 2004 with the SO discussion, but is a pdf file and I don't know how to post it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ken

My S3EELL is a 1962 model and the trigger guard has neither the serial number nor the model/grade---my trigger guard is relatively short probably because of the pistol grip. The model and grade appear on the top of the action and on the underside of the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CBill,

S Tonnecelli was a Beretta master engraver. Here's another example of his work.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely, with the straight hand stock and double triggers. Almost all seen in the UK are single trigger pistol grip which is such a shame.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 01/01/18 05:06 PM.
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A side lock Beretta o/u is one of the few shotguns I still have a desire for. Incredible quality for the price of a used one. I, too, would prefer a straight stock double trigger gun. What a wonderful pheasant gun on the plains.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
CBill,

S Tonnecelli was a Beretta master engraver. Here's another example of his work.

Ken

The engraving pattern is similar but not identical to mine---same engraver as yours---I understand that he died prematurely and thus did not engrave a lot of guns---is your gun an early 60's gun as well?.
Your gun has gold pins, mine does not. Yours has a pierced top lever, mine does not. Yours has a double trigger, mine is a single trigger. Yours is a straight stock, mine is pistol grip. I'm sure my gun was intended as a trap gun as it is 8 lbs with a slightly higher comb than would a conventional hunting gun.
The workmanship on these EELL guns is incredible---a sleeper on the market, in my opinion.
A quick web search shows several Fracassi engraved guns that command a considerable premium vs similar guns by lesser known engravers.
In due course I will get pics to share with all.
Bill

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.