March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dukxdog, Ian Forrester, Perry M. Kissam, Roundsworth, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

re: the 20ga spring bring a replacement from another gun,,that statement I made only from looking at the spring and comparing it to the 12ga in the other lock.
I'm assuming the 12ga spring is an original,,,it is much more graceful in shape and has gentle bends to the legs to better position the ends upon the hammer and the sear surfaces. The bend is tighter, the overall thicknesses (not width) of the spring anywhere along it's length is quite thinner than the 20ga.
Just an observation, might be all wrong. But it jumped out at me as a replacement from another lock, another gun.

The lower grade Meriden guns didn't have the attention to fit and finish a higher grade had. They made some beautiful high grades, the wood quality right up there with LCS and others. Wm Gough was their best engraver.
Yes the bulk of them were made to be sold at a low price in large quantitys. Final fit and finish usually suffer in that quest.
The LCS can be less than well finished inside as well and itself is nothing more than a backaction lock shotgun,,the same thing the Aubrey/Meriden is.

I've owned more than a few Aubreys & Meridens both shotguns and 22rifles. Even still have one of their Meriden 12ga pump shotguns.
One of the highest grade SxS's often shown on the Meriden website(s) was mine at one time. Gough engraved, 32" bbl, pat. pop-up mid bead sight.
Fun to shoot skeet with that one!

I still stop and look a Meriden over whenever I see one at a show or shop. If it's interesting, or one that can be saved,,it comes home with me to do some work on.
Hope you didn't think I was bashing them!,,I rather like their line-up.

kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter, never crossed my mind that you were bashing them. I like this little 20 and it may be a miracle if it ever shoots again. Parts missing and wood trashed but it's something fun to piddle around with. It's a slim little gun and even if perfect condition it'd be nothing special but the lines remind me of classic doubles. Don't have hardly anything into it except time to what do I have to loose?

Anyway, I was messing with it today and took another look at the springs. Here's a pick of the two. The one on the left is what fit the sideplate well and I assumed was the 20ga. The one on the right is the one that was with the buggered up screw and I assumed was the 12ga (thicker). As you can see it has more meat to it and the general dimensioning is different from the other one.

I took another look at the two 12ga sideplates I have. One of them looks to have a spring that is more "fine", sort of like the one on the left. I'm going to take them apart to get a better look at them.

Take care
Kirk

Last edited by kirkp; 12/31/17 01:27 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

kirkp,
You can file springs, it's just slow. File lengthwise and polish it mirror bright to remove all stress rising scratches.
Mike

kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, thanks for your input. I suspected that creating stress points would not be good. The springs file easier than what I expected. Most difficult part is figuring out a way to hold the spring steady while I file. Little cold in Iowa today (-10 deg) so I imagine that I'll have some time to play with it.
Kirk

Last edited by kirkp; 12/31/17 12:33 PM.
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I think I can call this one piece of the puzzle completed. Took a spring from a 12ga lockplate that more closely matched the 20ga spring. Got it thinned down and shortened where necessary and got the lockplates back together. Everything seems to work well so far now on to other endeavors. Next up will probably be stripping of the epoxy paint that the previous owner applied.
thanks for your help
Kirk

Last edited by kirkp; 01/10/18 06:54 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.