Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#500268 01/03/18 01:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I woke up this morning to a very unusual snow fall here 14 miles from the Florida border. About an inch of accumulation. I know this is off topic and likely of no interest to other posters here who are inundated with the white stuff this year.

But its the first time I've seen it snow here in about 30years. My granddaughter who is celebrating her 4th birthday as well as the snow day came over this morning with her parents and her excitement rekindled my own...Geo

Geo. Newbern #500270 01/03/18 01:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You might want to forward pictures of it to Al Gore... as evidence of Global Warming.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Geo. Newbern #500273 01/03/18 02:06 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, it's a mess here in Savannah. We had rain last night through early morning to coat everything with ice but the roads were clear. It's been snowing and the slush is now ice and roads slippery. Bridges are closed. Socked in for the day. I had thought about hunting but Floyd reminded me that hunting in freezing rain isn't as comfortable as he'd like it to be. That and we couldn't cross bridges to get to the spots. Snow is coming down pretty good and I can't remember the last time we had this much snow. I think Kirby Smart made a deal with the devil on the Rose Bowl outcome and we now have to make the payment. Gil

GLS #500276 01/03/18 02:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

They're play'in for scraps Gil. You folks already hosted the championship game at the Peach Bowl.

Geo. Newbern #500277 01/03/18 02:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always loved snow days as a kid and still get a big kick out of "playing" in the snow. This weekend my friend and I hunted rabbits and pheasants in the newly fallen snow. Since we do not have hunting dogs, it makes for a fun day of tracking and stalking game. We saw a number of rabbits and had even more pheasant flushes. A very fun way to spend a winter Saturday in Pennsylvania. I hope that you guys didn't have to drive anywhere this morning - I can't imagine the average Georgia inhabitant on the road is very experienced with driving in the snow (please do not take offense). I hope you guys were able to enjoy it a little bit. Gil, any snow covered woodcock in your game bag?

P.S. It was negative six when I left for work this morning. Fun!

Geo. Newbern #500279 01/03/18 02:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

We're above the worst of it, I guess ..........I hope. I hunted deer this morning, on a drive with hounds, for the first time in about 25 years. A very large plantation near me needed to cull some does and rounded up several guys with deer dogs. We probably had 50 standers/guns. It was a cold morning for it, but no precipitation. I got home about 12:45, heated up a light lunch and looked out and it had just started snowing. It's a very light snow, but whatever falls should stick.

I'm happy for the kids there, Geo., and those adults who enjoy it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Geo. Newbern #500289 01/03/18 03:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I loved snow as a kid. Day off school and a extra day to go hunting. Many of my most favorite days hunting were during or after snow storms. Back in the late 1970's the Chesapeake Bay froze solid. Open water was very scare. I had a spring fed Creek which remained open all winter. In a half acre area there would be five thousand ducks shoehorned in the water and another group the same size around it plus geese and swans.

One snowie morning I set up five decoys about half a mile down the creek. Had to use a chain saw to cut through 6-8" ice to open up a tiny hole. About nine o'clock it started snowing. About ten o'clock the ducks started returning from feeding in the fields and poured into our tiny setup. Limits of both ducks and geese were too easyly obtained. Then we sat there for an hour watching ducks and geese fight to get into a hundred square foot hole in the ice.

The season ended a week later but we got multiple limits out of that hole. Twice during snow storms. Ducks and geese loose all inhibitions when it snows. They just pile in. After the season I dropped off a ton of corn to feed the ducks and geese. It got so bad I was afraid that starvation would kill them off. My hunting buddy fed another Creek about a mile away. 500 pounds of corn would be gone in a day. By the third feeding the ducks ran towards me while I was putting it out. Hungry has no fear.

Geo. Newbern #500290 01/03/18 04:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

No snow or rain in my part of Georgia but I wish it would hurry up and get warmer! Bobby

Geo. Newbern #500294 01/03/18 04:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not believe in snow.
O.M

KY Jon #500295 01/03/18 04:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I loved snow as a kid. Day off school and a extra day to go hunting. Many of my most favorite days hunting were during or after snow storms. Back in the late 1970's the Chesapeake Bay froze solid. Open water was very scare. I had a spring fed Creek which remained open all winter. In a half acre area there would be five thousand ducks shoehorned in the water and another group the same size around it plus geese and swans.

One snowie morning I set up five decoys about half a mile down the creek. Had to use a chain saw to cut through 6-8" ice to open up a tiny hole. About nine o'clock it started snowing. About ten o'clock the ducks started returning from feeding in the fields and poured into our tiny setup. Limits of both ducks and geese were too easyly obtained. Then we sat there for an hour watching ducks and geese fight to get into a hundred square foot hole in the ice.

The season ended a week later but we got multiple limits out of that hole. Twice during snow storms. Ducks and geese loose all inhibitions when it snows. They just pile in. After the season I dropped off a ton of corn to feed the ducks and geese. It got so bad I was afraid that starvation would kill them off. My hunting buddy fed another Creek about a mile away. 500 pounds of corn would be gone in a day. By the third feeding the ducks ran towards me while I was putting it out. Hungry has no fear.

Thats a really neat story KY Jon. I've been looking for years for one of those types of honey holes...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.