April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of the first things I learned about double guns, probably from reading McIntosh, was to remove the barrels and suspend them, and if the soldering is sound, they'll ring like a chime when flicked with a fingernail.

Then, a few years ago I bought an early "pin" side Sterlingworth, in such good condition the barrels would ring when the gun was closed. A few guns later, and a 1907 OO Grade L.C. Smith came my way, that rang the barrels even louder when closed. Finally, I lucked into a TriStar 411 28 gauge made by Luciano Rota, and it rings like a chuch bell when closed, and even when you work the safety. I also once owned an humble Stevens 311 that would make a ring, when the action was closed.

I was wondering, if the barrels setting up a chime like a bell when the gun is closed, is a sign of quality, something the makers intended, or does this only happen with a few chance and random guns?

It sure sounds pretty, if you have one that rings when it closes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ringing like a bell was a method some use to evaluate the soundness of the barrels. It is quick, easy but not perfect. I've seen more than a few barrels which did not ring but had tight ribs and a lot which had loose ribs. If a set of barrels don't ring I spend more time making sure ribs are tight. Sometimes you will quickly spot a loose area of rib and sometimes none exist even under water.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the SxS I owned and there were quite a few none of the barrels sounded like "church bell" when suspended by "lump" or it it "lug" (the thingy that serves as attachment for for end) and stroked with fingernail. The two A.H.Fox guns made distinct sound when closed. The one that had wonderful chime-like sound when stroked was 28" barrel of Winchester Featherweight 12. I assumed it was due to light barrel contour of good length. Never did understand what MaCintosh was talking about when he mentioned
"church bells". I read that one should should shake barrels of Model 21 before buying. Sand-like sound would indicate rust between them barrels. Not sure if it that is true or if it was written by someone who didn't give a damn for Model 21 or Winchester.

992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think every double gun I own, has barrels that will ring when removed from the gun, except one old damascus barreled L.C. Smith that has the bottom rib held to the barrels using screws. They are supposed to ring, when removed from the action and held by a string, or suspended on your thumb. All my over and under shotguns have barrels that will chime, while off the gun.

Only a very few of my doubles make that same bell like chime when they are closed, and still on the gun.

My latest V. Bernardelli makes a faint ring when closed, but it's not remotely as loud, nor as long, as the chime that my Luciano Rota TriStar import sets up when it's closed, or even when working the safety.

I suppose that for the barrels to ring like a church bell when closed, not only do the barrels have to be perfectly actioned up, but the forend and stock have to be solidly mounted, as well.

Very few doubles of mine will sound a chime when they are closed, and even fewer chime when the safety is worked.

I wonder if those hundred thousand dollar best guns, are made to chime when they are closed, the same as my poor old TriStar Rota does so well, and so loudly?

Last edited by 992B; 01/15/18 06:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To determine if the ribs are solid, take the barrels off and tap along the ribs with some object(I use a pocket knife because it is handy), any loose spots will sound "hollow".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

992B,

I have a Rizzini O/U that will loudly ring when snapped closed. I've always found it odd. I'll be interested to see if anyone has an answer as to why this occurs...

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To me as uneducated as I am, the sound should be like a set of wind chimes if the ribs are tight. Some say a tuning fork sound. I've certainly heard more then a few that go "clunk" when you tap them. That said, if you have ejectors that are extended sometimes they don't ring and they are still right.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

All my sxs ring. Was told to check to ensure nothing was loose with rib or solder if you have a old Browning A5 let the action slam shut it will ring like a bell. Pretty cool!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got one set that sounds like the chorus of Westminster Abbey Evensong.................but it's an English gun, of course.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

barrel ringing is no substitute for close inspection with a magnifying loop...and michael mcintosh was a talented writer whose style is missed...

Last edited by ed good; 01/15/18 09:42 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.