April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, StevenD, canvasback, PALUNC, Marks_21), 561 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41901 05/31/07 08:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've also posted this on SS/BBS. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

I have acquired a 16 gauge (of course) Bayard hammergun that I am trying to date. Serial #5582. It has the PV nitro proof mark and the ELG* in an oval final proof. There seems to be an inspectors mark of "r" over an "*." 16c in a diamond. Fluid steel, mono-block 29" barrels with the Bayard Cavalryman on both with "Anciens Establissments Pieper Herstal. Back action locks with "Machine Made Safety Action Bayard Gun" on both sides of the frame.

When I got the gun it was a typical continental shotgun. I've had the swivels removed and plugged, the cheekpiece removed, it's been straight gripped, refinished, recheckered, and a Galazan "Silvers" pad installed on the curve so the horn butt plate could be reinstalled. The barrels had previously been reblued and it retains about 80% original case colors. It weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. and balances a hair in front of the hinge pin. Choked .007R and .021L, I intend it to be a Prairie Chicken and Rooster gun as well as a fun target gun.

I wish I had pics of the proof marks, but I don't have a good enough camera. These were taken by a friend.

Thanks for your help, sv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very pretty gun. Your friend took some very nice pictures too. As far as dating it, since you don't have any pictures of the proofs, take a look at pages 3 and 4 of the thread "Please help me identify my rifle!" There are a couple of images that should help you determine year of make and inspector.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Storm, that was my idea as well, but I can't find any of the "date" markings or any of the inspector's marks either. The inspectors marks shown in that table have an * over a capital letter. Mine has a lower case "r" with the * under it.

sv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

This is a refinement of the Pieper Diana grade guns. Under the Bayard brand they turned them out for some time. I have a 28ga that was made in 1948.

Without actually seeing the proof marks, it is difficult to date.

I happen to have a fondness for hammer guns. I used this one last year on grouse and quail. They are good working guns.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve the 16 c in a diamond dates the gun before 1924, if the choke and bore marks are in a fraction format it indicates 1910 to 1924, if it is marked "choke 17.0" it is 1898 to 1910. this should narrow it down a bit.

jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim-it is marked "choke 16.8" so it falls into your 1898-1910 range. Following the "littlegun" info in the European Proof Marks thread, the marking of "Anciens Establissements Pieper" was used starting in 1905.....so, according to your info, we're now at 1905-1910. Thank you.

PeteM-I want your 28 gauge!!!!! Seriously, do you know where there might be one?

Last edited by steve voss; 05/31/07 11:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

Your 16ga looks to be in great condition. I picked up the 28ga on Gun Broker. They appear there every so often. They are a fraction of the cost, because they are Belgian, but you already know that.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete, I probably paid too much for it and it's still a fabulous buy. When I saw it I didn't know anything about them so just "bought the gun." I wish he'd had about 5 more of them.

These guns lock up tighter than anything I've ever looked at. Double Purdey underbites with two recoil lugs through the bottom of the frame, a third fastener (Kerstner?) that moves in and out of the left ball, and a hidden FOURTH fastener that hooks into a notch in the rear of the barrel extension. If it weighed a little more and if the wrist on mine weren't so thin since the surgery, I'd be tempted to shoot dynamite in it.

Last edited by steve voss; 06/01/07 10:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

james-l,

If it's not too much trouble, could you please explain more about your post that cites Belgian dating info based on choke marks? As it turns out, there is at least three conflicting Belgian date code tables in circulation. I was hoping to use your dating information to cross check all three tables, in hopes of flushing out the most accurate one. Thanks in advance...Bob Chambers

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.